BY ALMAY

• How well does this work? Does it actually match to your skin tone? 2 Answers
  • Very good I love1 Answers
Leslyn H.
Columbus, OH
I really didn't like this product! The only reason I'm not giving it a F is because it is a good concept.

I tried this product a few years ago and hated it! I so badly wanted it to work, but it just didn't. Fist to start, this product does not change to match your skin tone at all... it's the same color for everyone after its blended. But because I was determined, I tried all the shades (except dark), and NONE of them matched my skin tone. Not just would it not match my coloring, but there really was no coverage AT ALL! You could see a color to my skin, but it didn't give ANY coverage whatsoever...

It also was really oily from what I remember. I remember a few times after applying it, having to pat my face with a tissue because I looked like I had just rubbed olive oil all over my face!

Just not a good experience with this product AT ALL!
Alexandria F.
North Branch, MN
This foundation is light to medium coverage. It is great for summer and matches to your skin when you blend. This is lightweight and stays on for around 8 hours. I would recommend this to people with normal skin. I would definitely buy this again, and I have.
Brittany G.
Plantation, FL
First off.. Shade sensing technology.. are you kidding me? I hate it when companies make absurd claims like this. I for one would never pick up something like this but my Mom found it on clearence,and since she knows how much I love makeup and I am always on the hunt for the perfect foundation she picked it up for me. This product however, is FAR from perfect. At first it comes out white and there are little pigment beads in it.. of course as you work the product into the skin the little beads will burst. But this foundation is not adjusting to my skin.. It is going to be the same color no matter what. I also found this foundation hard to blend so that the color is dispersed even all over. This foundation felt more like a moisturizer and provided minimal coverage. So over all I would personally save your money!
Alyssa T.
Riverton, UT
I bought this product because I thought it sounded so cool and thought it would make my life easier since I can never seem to find a foundation match that I like, however I was sadly disappointed with the Almay Smart Shade Foundation because it did not live up to its name. When I put this on I expected the shade to adjust to my skin in a few minutes, but after waiting It really just looked like I hadn't put anything on. I did not feel there was adequate coverage for areas like minor acne scarring, which was unfortunate. The texture did not feel bad, which was a plus for this product, however I would not repurchase this for myself because it did not do what I needed it to. If you have pretty flawless skin and are just looking to even it out a bit or are just getting started with makeup this may work for you, but I do think that you can find similar products that will work a bit better. Sorry Almay. :(
Snaely K.
Salisbury, MD
I have striking pale skin so finding a shade that works for me is a huge challenge. When I saw the smart-shade, I was excited because I thought it would suit me....WRONG! When I put it on at first, it didn't do anything. It say on my skin like a BB cream. After 30 seconds, I had horrid orange streaks on my face. I was so confused at why it would pick up and orange in my skin since I have a very cool skin tone. To see what was up, I spread it out on a piece of paper. It was white at first and after 30 seconds, it turned orange just like it did on me. This product isn't "smart" at all, just time activated
Karen V.
Almay Smart Shade Foundation is definitely light coverage and depending on what you're looking for it may not be the right one for you.

It's not great for tackling acne spots or other problem areas. However it does eliminate redness in the skin and overall evens out skin tone.

There are color beads within the foundation that blend out to find your "perfect" shade. Although this seems like a smart idea it does however leave a gray cast on my skin.

Overall this foundation leaves a matte finish, I would not recommend it to those who are looking for medium to full coverage because you will not achieve it with this foundation.

Very light, and not at all thick or heavy feeling. It does not feel like a mask on your face, the packaging is sanitary and allows easy use.
Giselle N.
Bronx, NY
I think the product is good for the price. If your skin tends to be more on the dry side you should definitely moisturize before using this product since it tends to look cakey if you don't. If you have a lot of blemishes you may have to use a decent amount of the product; however, the more you apply the darker it becomes, and could probably make your face look darker than your neck in which case you may have to apply it on the neck which can get on your clothes, and it will get on your clothes. The foundation covers well and compared to other foundations that you find at your local pharmacy I feel it works better than most and is easier to blend properly to your skin.
member-c00771b14
Grand Bay, AL
I am in love with this product! Perfect for summer! I haven't found a con yet! It's super lightweight and easy to apply! It lasted me from about 8 in the morning until I took it off around 6! I bought two of them just in case I run out!
Michelle W.
Grand Rapids, MI
I wanted to try a new foundation. I saw that Almay Smart Shade in light/medium 1 Fl. oz was on sale at Meijer, so I purchased it and was pleasantly surprised at how well it matched my skin color. It stays on all day. Doesn't make my face shiny. It was a great purchase. I will be buying again.
Gabriela V.
Allentown, PA
I tried this a while ago when it was still considered a "revolutionary" beauty item. Basically, what this foundation claims to do is adjust itself to your precise skin shade, to eliminate and guesswork or for girls who have a hard time finding their shade. It does not work! Not only did this foundation give me a face about 3 shades too dark, it provided no coverage whatsoever. I had to add my own foundation on top because it actually did nothing for my small blemishes. I don't necessarily like to have a caked on look when I used foundation, but if I'm going through the trouble buying and applying it, I'd like to at least see some of my blemishes disappear. I would only recommend this if you're a beginner to beauty or foundation, and only need light coverage.
Katie O.
New Canaan, CT
Does this actually work? like does the color match to your skin?
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Whats your shade?
Ariel G.
Sharon, MA
Is this any good? I am pale.
Ta'Kira L.
Do they have darker colors?
Kacee H.