BY ALMAY

• How well does this work? Does it actually match to your skin tone? 2 Answers
  • Very good I love1 Answers
Laura W.
I have tried and tried this and it just doesn't do the job well. This product felt so greasy on the skin that it felt like it would slip off during the day. I think it did after a few hours. I don't think this is great for any skin tone or skin texture. It just doesn't ever catch my eye anymore. Rethink this Almay!
Lauren C.
Pittsfield, MA
My skin tone is porcelain, and I bought the lightest shade of this. It was to cover dark spots from acne past, and one or two small pimples.

Well, first of all the white to color is not as magical as you think. As soon as it comes out of the tube it oxidizes with the air, causing it to turn into whatever shade it has hidden in there.

Imagine mixing foundation and moisturizer together, you put the foundation down first in your hand, and then put the moisturizer over it. Now imagine instead of swirling it together to mix the two, you just put it onto your face. When buffing it into your skin lo and behold the white changes colors! That is what this does.

I would call this a tinted moisturizer over a foundation. At this point my rating would have been perhaps a B, but then onto the other parts.

No coverage, and my face turned pink! The light shade of this actually made my face turn pinkish instead of a normal shade. There was no blending into my skin tone, no adjusting to fit me, just a weird color that stood out on my already pinkish cheeks. What I had intended to use the coverage for was just the light spots, but even the lightest of spots were not hidden with this stuff.

Would not buy again.
Michelle P.
Derry, NH
I picked this up because I am on the constant hunt for the right liquid foundation from me. I am very fair skinned and have a lot of pink undertones. The result most liquid foundations turn out to be orange on me. Also I have my sensitive skin against me. So I decided to give Almay a shot since my half sister uses it and its one thing that works well with her sensitive skin. I was skeptical to try a brand I have never tried before but I did. While it came out of the bottle looking very light and giving me hope. I applied it and I saw immediately that it changed tone. It started to darken and it matches your skin tone to a certain point it doesn't match exactly. You need use very little and use very sparingly and attack each portion of your face since using too much causes it to go nuts and not blend well at all. You REALLY need to you either a foundation brush or make up sponges to make sure you blend very very very well or it will end up looking like a mask on your face. You can very vividly see the make up line. Even blending meticulously make up lines could still be seen.
Kelly O.
S Abingtn Twp, PA
The Almay Smart Shade Foundation is okay, if you have normal skin - not dry, not oily - and if you need a medium, sheer kind of coverage. It's not really too buildable without looking fake and cakey, so if you need a full coverage foundation, this isn't it. And obviously, the "smart shade" thing is just a gimmick. It's not "smart" it any way. Each bottle matches a given range of shades, just like any other kind of foundation. Going from white to colored is just a gimmick to try to hook the customer. I've had my bottle for a while and it's not even coming out white anymore, it's all one color. Luckily for me, that color matches my skin tone pretty well, but anyone thinking that they'll get a magic match is out of luck.

It's an okay light to medium coverage foundation if you've already got decent skin and you don't need much from a foundation. Add in the cheesey gimmick promising a miracle to women who probably have a tough time finding a color match and are hoping for a lot from this product, and I'm not super impressed.
Caitlyn S.
Bolton, MA
I am very fair, VERY. It's really hard to find foundation that isn't too dark or orangey. When I had heard about this one I figured it would be great because it says it "takes the guesswork out of finding the perfect shade". The only shades it comes in are light, light medium, and medium. I am looking online right now and apparently there's nothing darker than medium!
It says it instantly transforms into your ideal shade. It definitely doesn't do that. It comes out one color and goes on the same. Not only did it not transform to my shade but the light color that I bought made me orangey.
It also doesn't cover very well. It's a very thin liquid which barely will cover dark spots or blemishes.
Denisse B.
Doral, FL
I love this base
because it is super light, its formula is very special because despite
having a white tone to blur it takes the color of my skin, leaves a
natural and beautiful finish on the face.
Ashley A.
Deerfield, WI
I have combination skin. I get oily in my T-Zone and this foundation works very well for me.
I like to use this foundation in the winter months because it's light and doesn't dry out my skin. I don't tan in the winter so my skin is very fair. What I really like about this foundation is the fact that it adjusts to your skin tone. It takes some of the guesswork regarding what shade you should use. It blends very smooth and doesn't cake up during the day.
It allows my skin to breathe and blends well around my jawline and neck areas.
If you want a heavier coverage you can always combine this foundation with another shade to layer. If you have oily skin and are using this foundation, it will still work just fine because it doesn't have a high shine. It's not quite the perfect matte finish but it gives you a nice natural look. If you do have oily skin I would recommend setting it with a powder to prolong the natural look.
Lauren T.
I have been using Almay SmartShade for years. This is my go to for drug store foundations. It's so lightweight and breathable. It matches perfectly to my skin and never feels caked on or thick.
Kaitlyn O.
I was pretty disappointed with this smart shade makeup. I would put it on the back of my hand first and then it would turn a really dark shade of brown from what if was originally: Light-pale
Leslyn H.
Columbus, OH
I really didn't like this product! The only reason I'm not giving it a F is because it is a good concept.

I tried this product a few years ago and hated it! I so badly wanted it to work, but it just didn't. Fist to start, this product does not change to match your skin tone at all... it's the same color for everyone after its blended. But because I was determined, I tried all the shades (except dark), and NONE of them matched my skin tone. Not just would it not match my coloring, but there really was no coverage AT ALL! You could see a color to my skin, but it didn't give ANY coverage whatsoever...

It also was really oily from what I remember. I remember a few times after applying it, having to pat my face with a tissue because I looked like I had just rubbed olive oil all over my face!

Just not a good experience with this product AT ALL!
Katie O.
New Canaan, CT
Does this actually work? like does the color match to your skin?
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Whats your shade?
Ariel G.
Sharon, MA
Is this any good? I am pale.
Ta'Kira L.
Do they have darker colors?
Kacee H.