BY ALMAY

• How well does this work? Does it actually match to your skin tone? 2 Answers
  • Very good I love1 Answers
Stephanie Z.
Mountain View, CA
I started using the Almay smart shade when one of my other foundations started making me break out and I needed a change. This foundation is really cool, it starts out white and then blends in to your skin tone. It provides surprisingly good coverage, enough for what I need.
amazing a.
It works good on lighter skin tones once you get a darker skin tone it looks sheer and light!
Amelia D.
Amherst, NY
Beauty Junkie Expert
Moisturized my face very well and gave it a nice tint.
Talia A.
Junction City, KS
Beauty Junkie Expert
I used the light to medium shade and it blends very well with my skin tone. Its more of a lotion in my opinion. Its not cakey like most foundations.
Teri A.
Minneapolis, MN
On a trip to San Diego with my family, my makeup bag disappeared - along with everything in it. Fortunately, there was a CVS near our hotel where I could pick up the essentials. Without knowing exactly what shade to buy, I chose the Almay Smart Shade Foundation. I was amazed that for the price (under $10) it made my skin look great! It blended well and it really did match my skin tone. I was so impressed that when my cosmetic bag DID finally turn up, I kept using the Almay Smart Shade Foundation instead of the Clinique that I had packed!
Amber H.
Harrison, TN
I have really light skin so i thought this makeup would work for me.. It did not. It wouldn't match my skin, was darker than i am. It feels nice though so if it just so happens to match your skin then thats awesome.. It just didn't work for me.
Lauren C.
Pittsfield, MA
My skin tone is porcelain, and I bought the lightest shade of this. It was to cover dark spots from acne past, and one or two small pimples.

Well, first of all the white to color is not as magical as you think. As soon as it comes out of the tube it oxidizes with the air, causing it to turn into whatever shade it has hidden in there.

Imagine mixing foundation and moisturizer together, you put the foundation down first in your hand, and then put the moisturizer over it. Now imagine instead of swirling it together to mix the two, you just put it onto your face. When buffing it into your skin lo and behold the white changes colors! That is what this does.

I would call this a tinted moisturizer over a foundation. At this point my rating would have been perhaps a B, but then onto the other parts.

No coverage, and my face turned pink! The light shade of this actually made my face turn pinkish instead of a normal shade. There was no blending into my skin tone, no adjusting to fit me, just a weird color that stood out on my already pinkish cheeks. What I had intended to use the coverage for was just the light spots, but even the lightest of spots were not hidden with this stuff.

Would not buy again.
K S.
Not my favorite foundation at all. It has an oily texture, and while it does adopt a different color on your skin than right out of the bottle, it doesn't seem to magically match as it's supposed to. I don't expect to get the correct shade the first time for most foundation, but for this one, color matching should be no problem. Unfortunately this turned out way too dark for my skin, and after only a few months it had expired into an oily grey mess. As much as I wanted to love it, I won't be trying this one again.
Tiffany S.
Walker, LA
Other foundations leave my dry skin looking flakey by midafternoon, not this one. It is a light coverage bb cream and blends beautifully.
Jocelyn C.
Lyndhurst, NJ
Beauty Junkie Expert
It comes out white which is scary lol, but it changes on your skin... the only problem is... the color that it changes too doesn't really go right.. its too pink for my yellow undertones..... i do like the way it feels and it did blend well... but I am making it work by mixing it with another color...
Katie O.
New Canaan, CT
Does this actually work? like does the color match to your skin?
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Whats your shade?
Ariel G.
Sharon, MA
Is this any good? I am pale.
Ta'Kira L.
Do they have darker colors?
Kacee H.