All the Light We Cannot See A Novel uploaded by Kris S.All the Light We Cannot See A Novel uploaded by Jenny H.All the Light We Cannot See A Novel uploaded by Jenny H.

BY UNKNOWN

WINNER OF THE PULITZER PRIZE From the highly acclaimed, multiple award-winning Anthony Doerr, the beautiful, stunningly ambitious instant New York Times bestseller about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II. Marie-Laure lives with her father in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where he works as the master of its thousands of locks. When she is six, Marie-Laure goes blind and her father builds a perfect miniature of their neighborhood so she can memorize it by touch and navigate her way home. When she is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure's reclusive great-uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum's most valuable and dangerous jewel. In a mining town in Germany, the orphan Werner grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments, a talent that wins him a place at a brutal academy for Hitler Youth, then a special assignment to track the resistance. More and more aware of the human cost of his intelligence, Werner travels through the heart of the war and, finally, into Saint-Malo, where his story and Marie-Laure's converge. Doerr's "stunning sense of physical detail and gorgeous metaphors" (San Francisco Chronicle) are dazzling. Deftly interweaving the lives of Marie-Laure and Werner, he illuminates the ways, against all odds, people try to be good to one another. Ten years in the writing, a National Book Award finalist, All the Light We Cannot See is a magnificent, deeply moving novel from a writer "whose sentences never fail to thrill" (Los Angeles Times). see more...

Kate L.
Warminster, PA
Title: All The Light We Cannot See
Author: Andrew Doerr
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Romance rating: 💛🧡
Did I cry? 😢😢😭😭 Yes, mostly at the end!
Emoji description: 👦🏼👧🏼🐌🐚🥖📻💣🇫🇷🇩🇪💎
**This was a #BookClub book**
The only thing that had me on the borderline with this book was the length. I think some of the chapters that focused on points of view that weren’t the two main characters weren’t completely necessary. (Just some of them. Some were totally needed or gut-wrenchingly good.) But overall this was a very compelling story, and I loved it so, so much. My heart is majorly broken over it.
❌❌❌ SPOILERS BELOW ❌❌❌
1) I knew it wouldn’t be a happy ending, and yet I was still crushed.
2) The Frederick chapter at the end MURDERED ME. 💀
3) I have been listening to Clair de Lune on repeat since I first encountered it in this book. I mean, it’s been one of my favorite piano pieces for about ten years now, but I love the use of it in this book.
4) I honestly loved how Marie-Laure’s life ended up. 💕
Kristy S.
Omg if u love historical fiction this is the book for you!! Such a captivating book I read in a weekend because I just could not put it dwn without seeing what happens next!!! Great boom
Emily A.
Duluth, MN
This wonderful and poignant story is a historical piece that interweaves the stories of a young blind girl in France and a young boy living in a German orphanage. Doerr put a lot of thought and research into the novel and has a lovely style of writing. Not a very happy novel, but incredibly well written with characters that will work their way into your heart. Like many others have said, it does start a bit slow so prepare yourself, but at the same time it makes for a book that is good for all ages as both my grandfather and I loved it. Hope this helps!
tiffany c.
Humble, TX
Bookworm Expert Level 1
This is in my top 10 of my all time favorite books. I love historical fiction. At first I was a little skeptical. The female character is blind and I wasn't sure how well the author would be able to write about her. Even though she couldn't see, while I read it I still felt, heard, and smelled the world around her.

Many books about the Holocaust/ww2 revolve around kews, for obvious reasons.

But this book revolves around a french girl and a young boy who gets wrapped up in nazi training camps. Both of these viewpoints were just fresh and amazing
sarah d.
Palmerton, PA
Was not sure whether or not I would like this book as I was beginning to read, but I soon became captivated. The characters are amazing and feel so real. Great, great story. Absolutely love the author's writing style.
Susan T.
Palo Alto, CA
Wonderful book that is beautifully written . I loved the narrative and the different story lines. Truly a moving book. I read this during my WWII kick. Highly recommend if you enjoy historical fiction.
Allie P.
Gardendale, AL
I always cherish a book, that when I turn its pages, I get enveloped in its story and can picture the scenes crisp and clear in my mind as if I had really witnessed them. The detail and thought that is put into this story is truly beautiful. I didn't want to put this book down. The story, the characters, the way it carries you across time is so very well done. It's not a book to be taken lightly, or a book to be skimmed. It's a book that needs to be felt. Take your time with it, don't rush it. Lose yourself in the story and you'll be happy that you did.
Rachel P.
This was another one of those books in which I got to the final page and didn’t even know how to move forward with my life. It left me in emotional ruins…which obviously makes for a high rating in my book!

For a while, though, I didn’t think that would happen. If I’m completely honest, I was ready to give up on this book about halfway through. I spent an eternity getting through it, but it was completely worth it. Doerr’s fantastic story and storytelling make it completely worthy of the Pulitzer Prize it has received.
Ashley K.
A beautiful story. I didn’t know anything about this book when I purchased it, but every book reader I trusted was reading it, so I took a chance. This was the thickest book I read in a while, but I was quickly drawn into the worlds of Marie-Laure and Werner. The words are exquisite and the chapters are short, making you feel like you’re blowing through the book. As a bonus, I am incredibly interested in World War II history and the effects of Nazi Germany, so it didn’t hurt that the book focused on this era in history.
Katie G.
Greensboro, NC
I just finished this book and it's now one of my favorites. I don't want to give anything away, but bottom line, the book was so fascinating and the author really did a great job of making it seem like you were there living with the different characters. This book has been on the best seller list for so long now and I can see why. If you've ever thought about reading this book do it!! You won't be disappointed.
Stevie G.
Florence , ON
I keep seeing this book pop up everywhere I go, what's it about and is it a good read?
Holly N.
Pikeville
I think a read a summary of the plot of this book and it sounded so good ! what are everyone's thoughts ?
Edith C.
Killeen, TX
How do y’all feel about this book? Been thinking about reading this!