All the Bright Places (Paperback), Niven, Jennifer

by NoBrand

The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park. All the Bright Places is a compelling and beautiful story about a girl who learns to live from a boy who intends to die. Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him. Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister's recent death. When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it's unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the 'natural wonders' of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It's only with Violet that Finch can be himself - a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who's not such a freak after all. And it's only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet's world grows, Finch's begins to shrink. How far will Violet go to save the boy she has come to love? An intense, gripping YA novel, perfect for fans of John Green, Jay Asher, Rainbow Rowell, Gayle Forman and Jenny Downham. About the author: Jennifer Niven is the author of two narrative non-fiction books, The Ice Master and Ada Blackjack; a high school memoir, The Aqua Net Diaries; and four historical novels for adults: Velva Jean Learns to Drive (based on her Emmy Award-winning film of the same name), Velva Jean Learns to Fly, Becoming Clementine, and the forthcoming American Blonde. Jennifer lives in Los Angeles. All the Bright Places is her first book for young adults.

I was absolutely amazing and I beautiful ?
I have wanted to read this for awhile. Are there any authors you can compare this too?
Start your review of All the Bright Places (Paperback), Niven, Jennifer!
How would you rate this product?
This book made a huge impact on me. Having just finished it seconds ago I find it hard to form intelligent words; however, I wanted to write down up why the feelings are raw. My heart is so heavy. This is one of the most beautiful, empowering, touching and heartbreaking novels I have ever read. I highlighted probably over half the book as I read because it is simply so just beautiful. Niven touches on love, loss and mental illness. She writes from the soul and past experiences. The story features a sick boy who makes it his mission to better a sick girl while fighting for and losing himself. A class project turns wandering to find all the unique, loveliness inside the state of Indiana turns fighting to stay "awake" turns chasing lost love. I cried. I had to put this book down, hold my chest and cry. It touched my soul. Tomorrow morning I am going to hunt down my post it notes and I'm going to go to work. I recommend this book to every single person. If you're thinking about reading All the Bright Places, please do it.
Elmhurst, NY
I purchased this book after a friend recommended it to me when I asked for books to read on a 23 hour plane journey. I started it and was immediately sucked in. Niven introduces both characters really well-- she doesn't just throw together two archetypes but instead, creates interesting and unique characters right off the bat. Over the course of the novel, she develops their individual arcs and relationship in a way that really connects you to them. You'll feel the joy, anger and sadness of the characters with them and by the end of the book, you'll be surprised at how real everything felt.
Ft Wainwright, AK
This is one of my favorite books I've read in the last year or two, which says a lot. The characters are very different from anything else. They meet in an unfortunate circumstance, and despite being opposites, find a way to better one another. Finch is one of my all time favorite characters I've ever read. It's modern which is good. It's an emotional story and I would be lying if I said I didn't tear up. Amazing book!
Spring City, TN
This book destroyed me a bit. It was a beautiful story but *SPOILER ALERT* does deal with the topic of suicide, and at times, almost seemed to glorify suicide. I'll probably never read it again, but mostly because it was a devastating read. It has been over a year since I read the book, but I still think about it from time to time--that's when you know you've read a good book.
Huntingdon Valley, PA
This is by far my favorite book ever. It is very well written and covers the sensitive topics of suicide and mental illness perfectly. This book does a great job of bringing awareness to topics that many people are afraid to talk about. I got so caught up in this book it took me barely any time to finish it. Once I did I was devastated that it was over. For those that are easily triggered I would try and avoid this book. However I think that everyone else should do themselves a favor and pick it up.
Beach bag essential??? I think that's an easy yes! It's always nice to have a good, juicy book to read while soaking in the hot summer sun. This one will make you laugh, cry, and see the world in a completely different way 10 times over! It deals with two people that have both had some pretty heart breaking things happen in their lives. They had never even talked to each other (even though they go to the same school) until they meet on the bell tower but I won't spoil the rest :)
Duncanville, AL
All the Bright Places is one of the best books I've ever read. It deals with some heavy subject matter. I didn't know what to expect going in, but Finch is absolutely one of my favorite characters of all time. I would recommend that everyone read this book. I could read it again and again.
I give this novel 3.5 out of 5 stars. The writing is alright but not amazing. Character development was spotty in places. Over all I loved the theme of mental illness as it touches so many people. Warning. You will cry.
Marston, NC
One of my favorite books. I love how the story jumps back & fourth between violet & finch. Their story really is beautiful. This book is one of the best I have read in a long time. The humor in it had me laughing out loud & the ending had me crying. I highly recommend!
Round Lk Bch, IL
One of the few books in recent memory that has stuck with me for longer than a day. It is also one of a handful to make me cry. A brilliant look at mental illness and teenage love.