BY UNKNOWN

The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park. All the Bright Places is a compelling and beautiful story about a girl who learns to live from a boy who intends to die. Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him. Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister's recent death. When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it's unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the 'natural wonders' of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It's only with Violet that Finch can be himself - a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who's not such a freak after all. And it's only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet's world grows, Finch's begins to shrink. How far will Violet go to save the boy she has come to love? An intense, gripping YA novel, perfect for fans of John Green, Jay Asher, Rainbow Rowell, Gayle Forman and Jenny Downham. About the author: Jennifer Niven is the author of two narrative non-fiction books, The Ice Master and Ada Blackjack; a high school memoir, The Aqua Net Diaries; and four historical novels for adults: Velva Jean Learns to Drive (based on her Emmy Award-winning film of the same name), Velva Jean Learns to Fly, Becoming Clementine, and the forthcoming American Blonde. Jennifer lives in Los Angeles. All the Bright Places is her first book for young adults. see more...

• I have wanted to read this for awhile. Are there any authors you ...3 Answers
Alicia B.
I'm really not sure what I think of this book. Part of me fell in love with it. It was a beautiful, tragic love story of two people just trying to fix themselves (and each other) and falling in love in the process. It was so emotional and there were definitely some parts of the story that I could relate to. On the other hand, throughout several parts of this books these characters are nothing but their mental illnesses and that really made me angry. I just think that there was an opportunity to make this an outstanding book, but it was ruined because Niven tried to make Finch and Violet quirky and relatable... Also, what the heck were all the adults in this book doing?!?! In the end, I did cry reading this, but some parts just angered me.
Raven M.
I loved this books. I loved the characters and the story in general. It's beautifully written and I was not disappointed. I was touching and makes you think twice about things such as others and how they may feel. At least, after reading this I myself found that to be in effect. HOWEVER, if you are extremely sensitive to certain themes such as depression and what comes with it. This is the warning. Other than that, this is definitely on my favorites shelf.
Angela J.
This book was excellent. I can't even decide what to write. Finally a book that touches on mental illness, that doesn't make it seem silly or easily avoided or fake. Its something our society really needs to start understanding and working on. After hearing Jennifer Niven's note at the end I was struck by how much courage it took for her to write this piece. It was a great book for audio, one of the few audiobooks I've heard that have multiple narrators which adds so much to the story, especially for this particular book. I'm so glad I got around to reading this sooner rather than later.
Astry C.
Beaufort, SC
AMAZING I'll say that it took me 3 years to finally get the urge to actually sit down & read the novel, and I wished I'd read it sooner! I loved every bit of the novel & it went no where near where I thought the book was going to be about & I fell in love with the characters especially Theo aka Finch. A must read, I seriously cried after reading which has never happened to me which is why it has a specially place in my heart.
Gigi D.
I really liked this book. To me it was very boring in the first half. I was beginning to think this was one of those books you read halfway through and then throw out! I just couldn't get hooked, but the second half was amazing! I loved this story and the effectiveness of its message. Great book! Just beware of a sad ending ;).
Gina P.
Orange, CA
I loved this book! This story is great, but deep, dealing with struggles of depression and mental illness. It is written beautifully, and is a compelling story about a high school misfit and a "popular" forming an unlikely friendship. A coming of age story for this generation. Highly recommend!
Krista T.
This book made a huge impact on me. Having just finished it seconds ago I find it hard to form intelligent words; however, I wanted to write down up why the feelings are raw.

My heart is so heavy. This is one of the most beautiful, empowering, touching and heartbreaking novels I have ever read. I highlighted probably over half the book as I read because it is simply so just beautiful. Niven touches on love, loss and mental illness. She writes from the soul and past experiences.

The story features a sick boy who makes it his mission to better a sick girl while fighting for and losing himself. A class project turns wandering to find all the unique, loveliness inside the state of Indiana turns fighting to stay "awake" turns chasing lost love.

I cried. I had to put this book down, hold my chest and cry. It touched my soul. Tomorrow morning I am going to hunt down my post it notes and I'm going to go to work. I recommend this book to every single person. If you're thinking about reading All the Bright Places, please do it.
Erica K.
Elmhurst, NY
I purchased this book after a friend recommended it to me when I asked for books to read on a 23 hour plane journey. I started it and was immediately sucked in. Niven introduces both characters really well-- she doesn't just throw together two archetypes but instead, creates interesting and unique characters right off the bat. Over the course of the novel, she develops their individual arcs and relationship in a way that really connects you to them. You'll feel the joy, anger and sadness of the characters with them and by the end of the book, you'll be surprised at how real everything felt.
Brianna C.
Ft Wainwright, AK
This is one of my favorite books I've read in the last year or two, which says a lot. The characters are very different from anything else. They meet in an unfortunate circumstance, and despite being opposites, find a way to better one another. Finch is one of my all time favorite characters I've ever read. It's modern which is good. It's an emotional story and I would be lying if I said I didn't tear up. Amazing book!
Megan H.
Spring City, TN
This book destroyed me a bit. It was a beautiful story but *SPOILER ALERT* does deal with the topic of suicide, and at times, almost seemed to glorify suicide. I'll probably never read it again, but mostly because it was a devastating read. It has been over a year since I read the book, but I still think about it from time to time--that's when you know you've read a good book.
Ryann C.
Roseville, MI
I have wanted to read this for awhile. Are there any authors you can compare this too?