BY AEC

Recording information: Biffco Studios, Brighton; Kingsize Soundlabs, Los Angeles, CA; Konk, London; Sarm Studio 2, London; Studio Eleven, London, UK; The Ivory Tower."Did you find your b*tch in me," Marina Diamandis asks on "Hermit the Frog," a track not unlike many others suggesting that Marina & the Diamonds' debut album is not scared of being inarguably ballsy. Track to track, each song is more quotably engaging than the next on The Family Jewels, the debut record by Marina & the Diamonds. Diamandis, the sole artist behind the band, does a masterful job of navigating through styles and genres on a varied debut that hoards influences from '80s dance records, late-'90s female rock, and post-millennial synth pop and throwback soul. If one wanted to compare her to contemporaries, one could start by listening to "I Am Not a Robot" and feeling the influence of Kate Nash, or turning to "Oh No" and understanding the Ke$ha vibes that adorn some of the more spiteful, playful tracks. Wrap these songs together with a voice not unlike Florence Welch's and one gets an album that is unified by two traits: undeniable bite and unforgettable hooks. Sure, not all of The Family Jewels is necessarily mainstream enough for radio waves or single jewel cases; however, not one track on this album lacks a hook that wouldn't have listeners of a wide span of ages singing along. Much of this can be credited to Diamandis herself, who wrote seven of the 13 tracks on her debut, and contributes on the other six. And even with Liam Howe at the production helm for ten of the tracks, nothing feels stale, dated, or perpetuated. The contrast from single to single validates this: "Mowgli's Road" bursts out with an almost childlike rhythm that is supported by howling monkeys, only to be followed later by "Hollywood," a playful frock rooted in synthesizers and a massive chorus. Diamandis earns a large number of brownie points for owning a unified sound on her album that invests itself in every track,. see more...

Buy on Target
Jennifer B.
Clinton, NY
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
She's kind of along the lines of Lana Del Rey but not as good in my opinion. .. I think I've only found one song that catches my attention but that's just me
Karla G.
Mansfield, TX
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I recently started listening to her like 2 months ago and I became obsessed with this album and her other two albums!! It's indie but also pop so you can dance to it and jam!
Christian W.
Grovetown, GA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Marina is a stunning singer. This album is one of my favorites as well. I love the style of music. I totally can relate to the lyrics. It's gorgeous. I listen to Marina for hours on end!
Sophie P.
Dawlish
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
This is the classic Marina album and where she started for me. Such a well written and quirky album, one of my faves.
Michaeldonovan F.
Logan, WV
By far my all time favorite album.
Track by track it was handwritten for her voice.
Looking into other albums by Marina?
You will be very satisfied.
But, her first album will forever be her best work.
It shows a High range of vocal technique.
Dani K.
Springfield, MO
I love this album. The lyrics are always so deep with marina and the music itself definitely isn't bad either. I had a friend introduce me to marina and the diamonds and this album did not disappoint me.
Sarah L.
Dayton, OH
This is easily one of my favorite albums, Marina is a pop icon for the ages! I love this album, it's dark, pop-y, dance, and so much more. There's something for everyone with great lyrics that I love to sing along with. Give Marina a chance! You'll love her!
Rebekkah H.
Glendale , AZ
Love Marina and the Diamonds from the first time she popped up in my Pandora feed! Her music is very catchy and poppy, while still being "deep." She has an amazing voice that is not overproduced or covered with obnoxious music. If you like pop music with a little more substance, this should work for you!
Becky C.
Middlesex, NJ
When I first fell in love with Marina, it was with her song obsessions. One listen and boy I can say I am obsessed. With her unique sound, this is by far marinas best album. The songs are catchy but different with meaningful lyrics that will make you think. A must listen for any music fan!
Patricia D.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
I absolutely love Marina and the diamonds. Ever since I heard her song "how to be a heartbreaker" I fell in love with her voice. She is one of the few singers I enjoy listening to.
Christian W.
Grovetown, GA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Which is your favorite song?