BY AEC

Recording information: Biffco Studios, Brighton; Kingsize Soundlabs, Los Angeles, CA; Konk, London; Sarm Studio 2, London; Studio Eleven, London, UK; The Ivory Tower."Did you find your b*tch in me," Marina Diamandis asks on "Hermit the Frog," a track not unlike many others suggesting that Marina & the Diamonds' debut album is not scared of being inarguably ballsy. Track to track, each song is more quotably engaging than the next on The Family Jewels, the debut record by Marina & the Diamonds. Diamandis, the sole artist behind the band, does a masterful job of navigating through styles and genres on a varied debut that hoards influences from '80s dance records, late-'90s female rock, and post-millennial synth pop and throwback soul. If one wanted to compare her to contemporaries, one could start by listening to "I Am Not a Robot" and feeling the influence of Kate Nash, or turning to "Oh No" and understanding the Ke$ha vibes that adorn some of the more spiteful, playful tracks. Wrap these songs together with a voice not unlike Florence Welch's and one gets an album that is unified by two traits: undeniable bite and unforgettable hooks. Sure, not all of The Family Jewels is necessarily mainstream enough for radio waves or single jewel cases; however, not one track on this album lacks a hook that wouldn't have listeners of a wide span of ages singing along. Much of this can be credited to Diamandis herself, who wrote seven of the 13 tracks on her debut, and contributes on the other six. And even with Liam Howe at the production helm for ten of the tracks, nothing feels stale, dated, or perpetuated. The contrast from single to single validates this: "Mowgli's Road" bursts out with an almost childlike rhythm that is supported by howling monkeys, only to be followed later by "Hollywood," a playful frock rooted in synthesizers and a massive chorus. Diamandis earns a large number of brownie points for owning a unified sound on her album that invests itself in every track,. see more...

Buy on Target
Mo V.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Absolutely love Marina. Her voice is incredible and pretty unique. Her music is very catchy but also has a deeper meaning than the pop songs you hear on the radio. She's very underrated. Definitely listen to her album. It changed my life.
Susana C.
Grand Prairie, TX
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Marina is so underrated to be honest. After discovering her due to tumblr, I became obsessed! Her music is so cathcy and the lyrics are too witty! Marina is the Queen!!
Karla G.
Mansfield, TX
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I recently started listening to her like 2 months ago and I became obsessed with this album and her other two albums!! It's indie but also pop so you can dance to it and jam!
Jennifer B.
Clinton, NY
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
She's kind of along the lines of Lana Del Rey but not as good in my opinion. .. I think I've only found one song that catches my attention but that's just me
Sydney G.
Berthoud, CO
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
I love Marina and The Diamonds! She just has this awesome voice that I could listen to all night long! Check her out if you haven't already!
Gabriela B.
Salinas, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Thank you for my cousin showing me her music. This album is so good and she is amazing. Kind of reminds me of Lana Del Rey?
Rachel H.
Canton, OH
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
One of my FAVORITE artists- I love Marina and the Diamonds so much. This album is fantastic and I love the songs she has!
Alexandra E.
The new pop royal: Marina is here and she cannot be beat. Move over Madonna.
Sophie P.
Dawlish
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
This is the classic Marina album and where she started for me. Such a well written and quirky album, one of my faves.
Christian W.
Grovetown, GA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Which is your favorite song?