BY AEC

Recording information: Biffco Studios, Brighton; Kingsize Soundlabs, Los Angeles, CA; Konk, London; Sarm Studio 2, London; Studio Eleven, London, UK; The Ivory Tower."Did you find your b*tch in me," Marina Diamandis asks on "Hermit the Frog," a track not unlike many others suggesting that Marina & the Diamonds' debut album is not scared of being inarguably ballsy. Track to track, each song is more quotably engaging than the next on The Family Jewels, the debut record by Marina & the Diamonds. Diamandis, the sole artist behind the band, does a masterful job of navigating through styles and genres on a varied debut that hoards influences from '80s dance records, late-'90s female rock, and post-millennial synth pop and throwback soul. If one wanted to compare her to contemporaries, one could start by listening to "I Am Not a Robot" and feeling the influence of Kate Nash, or turning to "Oh No" and understanding the Ke$ha vibes that adorn some of the more spiteful, playful tracks. Wrap these songs together with a voice not unlike Florence Welch's and one gets an album that is unified by two traits: undeniable bite and unforgettable hooks. Sure, not all of The Family Jewels is necessarily mainstream enough for radio waves or single jewel cases; however, not one track on this album lacks a hook that wouldn't have listeners of a wide span of ages singing along. Much of this can be credited to Diamandis herself, who wrote seven of the 13 tracks on her debut, and contributes on the other six. And even with Liam Howe at the production helm for ten of the tracks, nothing feels stale, dated, or perpetuated. The contrast from single to single validates this: "Mowgli's Road" bursts out with an almost childlike rhythm that is supported by howling monkeys, only to be followed later by "Hollywood," a playful frock rooted in synthesizers and a massive chorus. Diamandis earns a large number of brownie points for owning a unified sound on her album that invests itself in every track,. see more...

Buy on Target
Sarah L.
Dayton, OH
This is easily one of my favorite albums, Marina is a pop icon for the ages! I love this album, it's dark, pop-y, dance, and so much more. There's something for everyone with great lyrics that I love to sing along with. Give Marina a chance! You'll love her!
Dani K.
Springfield, MO
I love this album. The lyrics are always so deep with marina and the music itself definitely isn't bad either. I had a friend introduce me to marina and the diamonds and this album did not disappoint me.
Michaeldonovan F.
Logan, WV
By far my all time favorite album.
Track by track it was handwritten for her voice.
Looking into other albums by Marina?
You will be very satisfied.
But, her first album will forever be her best work.
It shows a High range of vocal technique.
Rebekkah H.
Glendale, AZ
Love Marina and the Diamonds from the first time she popped up in my Pandora feed! Her music is very catchy and poppy, while still being "deep." She has an amazing voice that is not overproduced or covered with obnoxious music. If you like pop music with a little more substance, this should work for you!
Becky C.
Middlesex, NJ
When I first fell in love with Marina, it was with her song obsessions. One listen and boy I can say I am obsessed. With her unique sound, this is by far marinas best album. The songs are catchy but different with meaningful lyrics that will make you think. A must listen for any music fan!
Elizabeth A.
Huntingtn Bch, CA
Pop Culture Expert
Hands down my favorite album from any artist. She is amazing. Loved her for about 5 years now and I finally got to see her perform live about 2 years ago during her Electra Heart tour. Great great artist that actually writes her music.
Jasmine G.
Marina has an amazing voice. I cannot express how emotional her music is. She really knows how to capture her audience with her choice of words. Her music genre varies, so she is great for anyone to listen to.
Lexie N.
Hudson, WI
Pop Culture Expert
Marina is basically my lifeπŸ˜‚πŸ˜ she is the best artist I have ever heard. I'm in love. This era/album is so beautiful and sad, it has dark sad songs that are really upbeat! It may seem like strange combo but it is beautiful. Marina can make anything work. πŸ’Ž
Patricia D.
Pop Culture Expert
I absolutely love Marina and the diamonds. Ever since I heard her song "how to be a heartbreaker" I fell in love with her voice. She is one of the few singers I enjoy listening to.
Mo V.
Pop Culture Expert
Absolutely love Marina. Her voice is incredible and pretty unique. Her music is very catchy but also has a deeper meaning than the pop songs you hear on the radio. She's very underrated. Definitely listen to her album. It changed my life.