by Academy Sports + Outdoors
  • 1512 Reviews
  • 38 Q&A
Ask a Question
Talladega, AL

Do you think Academy Sports is just another one of those sporting good stores. Like Dicks?
bonnie J.
bonnie J.
Oct. 17, 2016, 10:14 p.m.
Much cheaper than others and great store
Samantha D.
Samantha D.
Oct. 10, 2015, 2:31 p.m.
I like them better. best prices compared to other places like them
adara  k.
adara k.
Aug. 2, 2015, 9:16 a.m.
It is but dicks has a wider selection but academy has that sales rack that people love! hope this helps!
Taliyah T.
Taliyah T.
July 29, 2015, 4:54 p.m.
Academy Sports is cheaper than Dicks.
Cheyenne B.
Cheyenne B.
July 26, 2015, 5:46 p.m.
It's a lot better than the others in my opinion.
Madison R.
June 27, 2015, 12:46 a.m.
Docks is more expensive but more brand names
Ashley  W.
Ashley W.
June 8, 2015, 4:26 p.m.
I made a return a few weeks ago. I had the tags but there were not attached and I had my receipt. Everything went very smooth. The credited my credit card with the full amount!
June 4, 2015, 5 p.m.
It's a lot less cheaper than dicks but what comes with a cheap price comes with cheap quality
Holly H.
Holly H.
Oct. 1, 2014, 8:45 a.m.
It's not at all like dicks or bass pro shop! It is a smaller chain of stores, which in a lot of ways means that they still value customer service. In terms of product/ price you get what you get they run good sales but don't do coupons!
Tessa S.
Tessa S.
Aug. 4, 2014, 10:07 p.m.
It is similar but I believe it has a greater variety.
Yari M.
Yari M.
June 16, 2014, 6 p.m.
Honestly I like more Academy just because you can find same items with a lower price. They do have a great variety on anything for sports.
Megan S.
Megan S.
June 10, 2014, 3:37 p.m.
Academy is very similar to other sporting good stores though I'd say it is much better. Academy offers a larger selection of each product for your choosing. And is much less expensive than stores like Big 5 and Dicks.
Li H.
Li H.
Jan. 15, 2014, 5:46 p.m.
We used to love academy, as it really was the only sporting goods store in our town, until we got a dicks, and realized how badly we were being treated at Academy. Several issues of lying, employees not doing their jobs and generally treating customers like crap at ours has soured us against them. We do go in for small items we know they carry that involve no contact with employees.. but otherwise I'd rather take my chances at any other store or even online.
Martha L.
Martha L.
Jan. 14, 2014, 11:52 a.m.
I love Academy. Their selection is great and their prices are even better. I think they're better than Dicks by far
Deneige D.
Deneige D.
June 25, 2013, 1:07 p.m.
I may be the only one that feels this way, but I think Academy carries cheaper items to make their prices look lower. I would not compare them to Dicks or Sports Authority. They do carry some of the same brands but be careful. Not all Nike's are the same, for example, and most big name brands make less expensive versions of their products to be carried at stores with lower price points. So while you'll see brands you recognize the quality isn't there.
Amy W.
Amy W.
June 19, 2013, 5:28 p.m.
No, Academy is way better. They have awesome prices and sales all the time. My boyfriend is a huge hunter and we get all the supplies there. I also got my bike and work out clothes here....oh, oh, oh....and SHOES!! They have ton! I love Academy!
Ashley E.
Ashley E.
June 1, 2013, 9:16 a.m.
No way! They have a much bigger vriety of goods, and their prices are much cheaper!
Influenster M.
Influenster M.
May 30, 2013, 4:16 p.m.
Much better than Dick's! To me, Dick's is kind of expensive, but Academy has great prices and they usually have sales on top of that.
Bobbi R.
Bobbi R.
March 3, 2013, 7:48 a.m.
Yes and no. similar products but Academy has more items for different sports. plus its way cheaper
Ekuase O.
Ekuase O.
Jan. 6, 2013, 10:29 a.m.
It is a sporting goods store but it has stuff for the entire family and is less expensive.
Katelyn W.
Katelyn W.
Dec. 31, 2012, 12:53 p.m.
It is better because it has the outdoors part unlike Dicks.
Haley S.
Haley S.
Dec. 28, 2012, 5:36 p.m.
No academy is way better! There prices are cheaper, and they have a lot of variety and more things than just sporting goods. I recently got an adorable pink paisley bag of academy!
Jessica S.
Jessica S.
Dec. 26, 2012, 2:43 p.m.
Academy is way better, the only thing that dicks has an advantage with is North Face gear.
Amanda A.
Amanda A.
Dec. 26, 2012, 2:37 p.m.
No, academy has a lot more choices than dicks in my opinion
Annalee P.
Annalee P.
Dec. 20, 2012, 6:48 a.m.
I agree with Academy having a greater selection with better prices--bought a meat grinder for $50 less than all other sporting goods places!
Ashley G.
Ashley G.
Dec. 14, 2012, 2:54 p.m.
No! They have a better selection than Dicks, and the people that work there don't look down on me just 'cause I'm a girl.
Ashley B.
Ashley B.
Dec. 8, 2012, 4:07 p.m.
I think each has their individual positive characteristics. Right now I am closer to a Dick's location but I do love Academy Sports.
Aaliyah P.
Aaliyah P.
Dec. 8, 2012, 10:12 a.m.
No! It is unique because it is so big and open. I also like their selections of clothes better. I definitely choose this over Dicks and Sports Authority
Grace S.
Grace S.
Dec. 6, 2012, 1:03 p.m.
Definitely not! It is not nearly as expensive, and it is much easier to find what you're looking for. I prefer Academy over any other sporting store.
Sarah L.
Sarah L.
Nov. 27, 2012, 10:46 a.m.
I haven't recently shopped at Dicks, but i have always loved Academy!
Nov. 26, 2012, 4:17 p.m.
I enjoy shopping at Academy sport because they have a lot more things to choose from. More things for us women and children's departments. Lots of cooking supplies and camping and biking and just really more in general. Lots more variety in shoes for the whole family. Lots of different family oriented supplies and fun things. Variety is just much bette.
Hollie T.
Hollie T.
Nov. 20, 2012, 10:19 a.m.
It's sort of like dicks, but better :) It is bigger and more female friendly.
Nov. 18, 2012, 2:36 p.m.
No, I enjoy going into the Academy Sports simply because it seems to be more female friendly than Dicks.

Join Now