BY BILL BRYSON

Michaela C.
A Walk in the Woods is one of my favorite books of all time.  Bill Bryson is a clever and entertaining writer, and this story of his time spent on the Appalachian Trail is a highly enjoyable read.  I've bought a few copies, because I keep giving it away to friends who haven't read it yet!
Carly L.
Milwaukee, WI
Bill Bryson has a hilarious style of narration, fusing an entertaining stream of consciousness with an interesting, factual voice. In this book he describes his experience hiking the Appalachian Trail, which is at times both extremely funny and dark, something classically characteristic of Bryson. If you're looking for an easy, educational, and entertaining read, I would suggest "A Walk In The Woods," but definitely check out his other works!
James J.
Bend, OR
Everyone has a different experience in the outdoors. Far be it from me to say these anecdotes are untrue- I'm sure they happened with a little comedic embellishment thrown in for great literature. If you are an avid outdoors-person who enjoys a deep, spiritual and life-affirming relationship with the outdoors then this book may not be your style. There is an unfortunate dearth of great, fun natural history novels out there and so this book becomes a de-facto member of many peoples' canon. If you're anything like me- keep reading and searching for better alternatives.
Sage T.
Midland, MI
Absolutely hilarious story of Bill Bryson's journey on the Appalachian Trail. In several parts of the book I was laughing so much that I was crying. The first half is his story and the second half is the conservation portion which can get a little dry but is also valuable. Great author and story teller. I would recommend to everyone.
Mary Ann L.
Shelbyville, IN
This book had me rolling on the floor laughing but also made me want to hike Appalachian Trail sometime in my life! If these guys can do it, surely we can too! This page turner that will have you wonder what's going to happen next and if they will ever finish what they started! I would recommend this to anyone and everyone. Especially someone who has a dream of taking a really long hike!
Stacy H.
Wilson, WY
I read this book while hiking the Appalachian Trail (yup - the whole thing). And Bill Bryson made me laugh a lot! On his hike he gives up (not too much of a spoiler) but that is what most people do when they attempt to hike the entire AT. He turned his hike into an East Coast trip filled with silliness and misadventure. If you are looking for a funny travel book based somewhat on the truth - this is the book for you. If you are looking for a book that follows a person from Georgia to Main by foot, you will be disappointed.
Susie S.
Steep Falls , ME
I know that hiking, or the outdoors in general, is not for everyone. But "A Walk in the Woods" is so well done that I think everyone could enjoy it. There is humor to be had in spades with lots of true stories about what it really is like being on the trail. I found it to be a quick, easy read which made it a great story to read at the beach.
Susannah H.
Oklahoma City, OK
I had a really hard time getting into this book, which could be in part due to the fact that I listened on Audiobook. The problems I faced were that he listed too many statistics (many of which are out of date now), instead of focusing on the trail. The funny anecdotes were welcomed, but were few and far between the numbers game for me.
Taylor G.
Oh my gosh, I can't gush enough about how much I love this book! Bill Bryson is a really great writer because his books are informative, but he writes in a conversational tone. The humor and the narrative really keep you interested, and you don't even realize you're learning fun facts about the Appalachian Trail.
Chelsea S.
Lawndale, CA
Bill Bryson, along with David Sedaris, are the two funniest writers around. If you haven't picked up any of Bryson's books, drive down to your nearest library or bookstore NOW. In a Sunburned Country is my personal favorite!
sue f.
Canyon Country, CA
Did anyone else laugh out loud when he described his bear encounter? I cried!
Stacy L.
Cohutta , Ga
Were you surprised that some parts were funny? I was.
sue f.
Canyon Country, CA
Where do you think Bill should write about next?
Sage T.
Midland, MI
Can anyone suggest another book for if you liked this one? I would love to find a book even half as funny as this one!