BY PATRICK NESS

A Monster Calls
  • "This book is not only well written, but filled with a plethora of drawings throughout the book that add a deeper sense of where the story is headed." in 5 reviews
Amelia G.
Norwich, Norwich
I had to read this book as part of an assignment for school, i would have normally never read it as it is labeled as a children's book but it is honestly one of the most emotional and amazing books i have ever read. It deals with such strong and powerful themes (death) is such a talented way. Would really recommend to everyone.
Slr L.
Newcastle , Newcastle upon Tyne
When reading this book I went in with low expectations. I had watched the movie and despite liking some parts of it it was overall unimpressive. But this book shook me off my feet. it has so many conversations and quotes that tied themselves to my heart. Very good story line and plot. Recommend by this author also: release, the rest of us just live here, more than this
Giselle S.
Boy, when you judge a book by its cover, you can be completely wrong. I read the little jacket synopsis, and I saw the creepy vibe of the illustrations, but once I started reading this I couldn’t stop. It’s not what I expected, at all which is also a big reason why I loved it.

Conor is a thirteen year old boy whose mother is battling cancer. One night he starts having nightmares of a monster that comes to his house and starts talking to him. The monster tells him three stories and the last one Conor has to tell him a story in exchange.

I can’t even begin to describe how I felt after reading this book. You can feel how Conor feels and what he goes through. And being so young, you want to take care of him and and even protect him from the pain. His character is beautifully developed that Conor feels so real. I fell in love with Patrick Ness’ writing. He writes incredibly well and vivid and they way he incorporates his quotes right into the story, with such inspiring prose. Ahh it pulls at your heart and tugs it right off yor chest. Reading a book in one sitting is fairly rare because I get bored quite easily. Not the case with this book, I read it straight through and that ending pretty much just killed me.

What starts out as a scary and vivid nightmare turns into a heartfelt and touching story about family, friendship, death, love and loss.

I highly recommend buying this one to add to your collection. Don’t borrow, buy it because it’s also become one of my favorite books I’ve read this year.
Charlotte B.
Loughborough, Leicestershire
A quick read which leaves you with all of the emotions. It's a great book to take on holiday with you and pass around friends to discuss. I haven't read any other books from the author but from this book alone I would definately look into any other books they have written.
julie b.
Scotland , Invernessshire
Absolutely fantastic book I read this in two days. I couldn't put to down such a brilliant author and well written. The film will have you emotional I highly recommend this book and film x
Ambur H.
Toronto, ON
This book does have a bit of a spooky element, but nothing like the cover suggests. When you open it up, you see vivid pictures and beautiful artwork. You also find a story that will truly make you feel, and will wrench at your heartstrings. You will feel for the main character, Conor, and you'll struggle right along with him. The monster isn't quite what you'd expect, and Conor's fears and nightmares are things that anyone of any age can relate to. I loved A MONSTER CALLS, and I think that if you enjoy books that carry a deeper message or even just like to read books that are both visually appealing and beautifully written, you will love it, too!
Brenda C.
Bell Ville, Cordoba
When going into this book, I was expecting a horror/creepy/spooky story, and that isn't what I got.. exactly. What I mean is that the overall tone of the book is creepy, and the drawings definitely are spooky, but the story itself is a contemporary tale about a boy trying to understand the feelings he has in regards to his mothers illnes.
Claire B.
I wasn't sure what to think or expect of this book when I first started. But, it's well written and explores a familiar and often-done theme in a totally different way.
🌙 S.
Adelaide
Wow. Such a powerful book. I read this in 2 weeks. The author uses so much emotion, it made me cry at the end. Definitely worth reading.
Darlene B.
Cambridge, ON
1961 reviews
Bookworm Expert Level 5
I've never read this book but,from the reviews on it that I've read it's twisted but, a very well written book
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Which do you prefer? Hard copy or paperback?
Lexy K.
Middle Vlg, NY
Based on the cover, is this a horror story book ?
Nicole D.
What made you read it??
Kayla O.
Cabot, AR
Good book?
Anne F.
Kenmore, WA
What age range would you suggest for this book?