BY PATRICK NESS

A Monster Calls
  • "This book is not only well written, but filled with a plethora of drawings throughout the book that add a deeper sense of where the story is headed." in 5 reviews
Cristina V.
Bookworm Expert Level 1
So very hauntingly beautiful. It was sad, touching, intelligent, magical, and completely unexpected. I will keep this one in my heart for a long time. Do not read if you are very raw about someone in your life passing away. This book will move anyone to tears.
Emily T.
I love this book. I reviewed it on my youtube channel (EmilyJeanLives) and get teary eyed every time I think about it. Patrick Ness is an amazing writer and one I highly recommend to everyone. This is an emotional and touching story about loss and love and growing up. It is beautiful and the illustrations make it a 5/5 star book for me. PICK IT UP
Lisa Q.
Marksville, LA
Bookworm Expert Level 3
First things first: This almost never happens, but I have to admit that I cried at the end of this book; I clutched my cute little kitty-kat and bawled.
However, I didn't cry because of what the book in general, necessarily, but because of what it did to me. It drags out your saddest memories and pains, kicking and screaming, makes you look them right in the face and watch them all happen all over again, no matter how much you don't want .
Antane A.
Bloomington, IN
I have read everything this man has written and I cannot wait for more. This story was more touching and less scary than I originally thought it was going to be, but I loved it. THe protaganist is given time to grow into understanding so minutely, and believably, that it is easy to immerse oneself in the character and the story.
Stacie D.
Land O Lakes, FL
I loved this book! It was written in a frightening fable that moves in and out of reality. It was told in such an engaging way and paired with amazing pictures. It was a heartbreaking page turner that I would highly recommend!
Nicole c.
I can't give this book more than three stars. I love to read and I am not sure if I'm only giving it three because this book hit home, or if I just was annoyed with the ending. It has a bittersweet beauty to the book but delivers a very strong message. Good for a quick read, just make sure to have tissues.
Claudia P.
I absolutely loved it! And one of my favorite quotes EVER is from this book:
"You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you DO."
I think everyone could afford to learn this!
Lindsay B.
Beaverton, OR
This book was so time consuming, I loved it. I don't often find a book I can only read in short sittings.. but this one I literally had to set down and walk away from probably a hundred times. It's touching, sensitive.. it's definitely for selective readers.
Christina S.
Red Bank, NJ
A very fast YA read, this coming of age novel was a great read. We face many monsters, but we can learn and grow from some of them. The writing is wonderful, the concept innovative, and the sketches within really made the story pop.
Paige M.
Otisco, IN
I enjoyed this book. It wasn't your average run of the mill read. It was riddled with captivating illustrations that interested me as an artist and a reader. The story itself was pretty cool as well.
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Which do you prefer? Hard copy or paperback?
Lexy K.
Middle Vlg, NY
Based on the cover, is this a horror story book ?
Nicole D.
What made you read it??
Kayla O.
Cabot, AR
Good book?
Anne F.
Kenmore, WA
What age range would you suggest for this book?