BY PATRICK NESS

A Monster Calls
  • "This book is not only well written, but filled with a plethora of drawings throughout the book that add a deeper sense of where the story is headed." in 5 reviews
Nelia M.
Billerica, MA
The description in the back of this book doesn't give away what this book is really about and I'm not going to spoil it either.l, just know that it's an amazing book and an amazing story too.

I can tell you that yes there is a monster that shows up to a little boy and he wants one thing from him, the truth. Which truth? To know that you need to read the book, the story is touching and because is told by the perspective of a child is even more touching. Life doesn't always go according to plan or the way we want, right? And we have to face it eventually and this is the lesson this book gives

5 out of 5 stars, the writing is freaking amazing...love it.
Abi H.
Wyoming, MI
The cover caught my attention whilst browsing the book section of Target. I stopped and ended up reading the entire book right there in the aisle and I was so in love with it by the time I turned the last page. I did tear up a little, which was mildly embarrassing because I was in the middle of Target. Regardless, read this book. No matter how old or young you are. Anyone can appreciate this story.
Dianne R.
This is quite possibly both the saddest and beautiful book that I have ever read in my life. It's hard for me to recommend it to people because it's like, "Do you want to have your heart ripped and have a great cry at the same time?" But death is a part of all of our lives and I actually really love the fact that this is YA lit. The fact that the young boy attempts, but cannot control things is a very real and devastating situation that we all will be thrust into at least once in our lives. This book is a masterpiece, in every way.
Samantha H.
Guntown, MS
Full Disclosure: I'm working as a caretaker for a terminally ill member of my family who has cancer, so this book got me right in the feels.

I read an average of 200 books a year and I'm one of those nitpicky, almost unpleasable readers that never gets invited to book clubs cause I'm no fun.

I read this book in one sitting and then promptly sat down and cried like a baby. I tend to rate books emotionally and I reserve my highest ratings for books that made me feel something and oh boy, does this book make you feel something.
Astry C.
Beaufort, SC
Not only is it written beautifully but it's so much more than what meets the eye. I honestly only read it because my sister insisted i read it before the film comes out & I did & I'm so glad she pushed me to read it, i finished it overnight & I feel in love with it. I'm so excited to see how the book is translated onto screen & it see for once if the book is better than the film version.
Mason S.
Conyers, GA
This story is a children's book that is about a boy whose mother suffers from terminal illness. The boy, Conor, is also visited nightly by a monster who tell him stories. During the nightly visits, the monster tell him stories about humans and the risks and challenges they take for the ones that they care about. Conor also has to tell his own story and realize that the monster was helping him all along before the book comes to an end.
Paige W.
South Bend, IN
I wish I could add a million plus signs to the grade. I cannot begin to explain how this book touched me. I wasn't completely invested until about 3/4 of the way in. But it really pulled me in and it is just about my favorite book of all time now. It is excruciatingly relatable to many people who have loved ones, had loved ones, or known anyone fighting cancer but through the eyes of a teenage boy. Unlike The Fault In Our Stars, it is not about a child with cancer, but rather his mother and how he is trying to cope. A MUST read!
Fatima C.
Gardena, CA

A Monster Calls has to be the most inventive book I've read this year. And I find myself struggling to put in words how much this book has touched me. But it did. If you haven't read A Monster Calls, I suggest you immediately purchase it. Don't read the e-book because you would miss out on the amazing artwork. This book is stunning. Masterfully written and beautifully drawn.
Patricia Y.
New Braunfels, TX
I thought the book was really good! Not sure why anyone would think this book was lame!? It was sad to know what he was going through...oh, and whats really sad is that there are parents out there that don't encourage their children to read books, instead of sitting in front of the TV playing video games all day! But like I said, it was a good book and a little creepy at that!
Jaclyn T.
This book is a little bit of a horror story but not really. It's more about a young boy and the emotions he needs to get through when dealing with his mothers cancer.

A great read, it evokes emotions from the reader, and it is told in a very unique way.
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Which do you prefer? Hard copy or paperback?
Lexy K.
Middle Vlg, NY
Based on the cover, is this a horror story book ?
Nicole D.
What made you read it??
Kayla O.
Cabot, AR
Good book?
Anne F.
Kenmore, WA
What age range would you suggest for this book?