BY PATRICK NESS

A Monster Calls
  • "This book is not only well written, but filled with a plethora of drawings throughout the book that add a deeper sense of where the story is headed." in 5 reviews
Amy R.
Alpharetta, GA
I really liked this one! It was imaginative and well written! I listened to it on Audible and it was like being read a bedtime story when you are a kid! But there is so much more than a fairy tale here. There is meaning in everything and it was a refreshing departure from my normal reading!
Kelly C.
I started this in October on my Kindle, and I only read a few chapters and I put it away. I ended up buying the illustrated copy and finished it today. I highly recommend reading the illustrated copy, as it just brings so much of the book to life.

I really connected with this book, as I had a sick father growing up. I had to face some of the same demons in which I had to watch my father slowly dying in front of me. That is is the main reason I loved this book. It does a good job showing a son fighting the battle of emotions that comes along with losing a parent. Who would think one sentence could make you a crying fool, but it did. The words, "but I do not want you to go" did me in. I remember not wanting my father to go, but praying for his pain and my families pain to end. It is a very real moment when faced with these issues.

Now, why only three stars then? I just felt most of the book lacked the emotions I was looking for. I think most of the school scenes could have went without. I also feel the stories were only ok, up until the 4th, of course. I again, felt like I was skipping through this to get to the moments with the actual characters.

Overall, I am glad I read this, but I only loved certain parts (do not shoot me).

This story transcends reading levels by connecting to the reader on a deeply emotional level. You know what is going to happen, but you are able to connect with the main character and the story through empathy. For anyone who has ever lost a loved one to cancer, prepare yourself for a tear-jerker. For those lucky enough to have not experienced that type of loss, this story will send you on the emotional roller coaster that those of us have ridden before.
Karin P.
Haworth, OK
Conor is plagued by a recurring nightmare. One he vows never to tell anyone – not his friends at school, not his Grandmother, and definitely not his mother. He fears the worst when he begins to hear his name whispered on the wind in middle of the night; he fears his nightmare has come to life. Instead, he finds another monster at his bedroom window. The old yew tree from the cemetery transformed into a huge Monster and demands Conor talk to him. He demands truth from Conor, but Conor isn’t ready to give it.

A MONSTER CALLS is heart-wrenching. It is a story that shows just how much guilt can weigh on a person – how it can manifest into so many other problems. Patrick Ness tells a wonderful story about a difficult subject. He masterfully weaves the traditional stages of grief into the narrative. While Conor is the main character of the story, the Monster plays a huge role as well. While much of the time the Monster is demanding of Conor, there are times when he reveals a dark sense of humor. Even more important, the Monster gives Conor support and comfort when needed.

You will need a box of kleenex handy while you read A MONSTER CALLS. I was warned before I started, but I had to idea it would get to me like it did. It was so worth it though!

A MONSTER CALLS was an original idea by the author Siobhan Dowd. Unfortunately, she died of cancer at the age of 47 before she could write the story. I think we are lucky that Patrick Ness, the author of the Chaos Walking trilogy, picked up the torch and brought the story to life.
Brooke G.
Union Grove
Bookworm Expert Level 2
Patrick Ness can write a story and make you fall into it with the character. This short story had me biting my nails while I read it and had me taking a good look at myself when I was done. It could be a little scary to younger kids but it’s such a amazing tale that it may be worth the scare. If not it’s worth the wait until they wouldn’t be scared anymore. Pick this up if you get the chance.
Kim H.
Coronado, CA
Reviewed by Janessa, Age 15
After looking at the cover and reading the back cover, I started reading this book still not coming remotely close to knowing what this book was actually about. This book is not only well written, but filled with a plethora of drawings throughout the book that add a deeper sense of where the story is headed.
Conor shook his head.
“That’s a terrible story. And a cheat.”
Conor’s mom is very ill, his father walked out on them, and his grandma, who treats him poorly, is trying to force him to move in with her. Conor is constantly being bullied at school, has nightmares at night, and are terrifying. That is until the massive tree in the backyard comes alive and is demanding the truth from Conor. Exactly what the truth is that the tree seeks is a mystery to Conor though. As Conor’s mom falls sicker, he becomes angrier and his life spirals into chaos.

This book is about the burden of responsibility, grief, anger, and pain and the toppling loneliness that is associated with these burdens. Conor’s story will grab your heartstrings and make you appreciate all that you have. I would recommend this book, but make sure you thoroughly enjoy the artwork alongside the story.*This book was provided in exchange for an honest review*
*You can view the original review at Musing with Crayolakym. Some of the review has been altered per influenster posting guidelines.
Kennedy P.
Cataula, GA
This book is honestly one of the most well written books I have ever read. Ness' writing style just pulls you in and makes you want to not let go. This book is absolutely phenomenal, and is a great read!
Jennifer C.
A Monster Calls is a story about a boy dealing with tremendous amounts of grief and it is a heartbreaking story. Patrick Ness is a great writing, and the illustrations in hear are amazing and add a lot to the story as well. Just read it! It is amazing, oh and make sure you have some tissues near by.
Amanda S.
Manassas, VA
I am a huge fan of the "Chaos Walking" series by Patrick Ness and I was more than a bit apprehensive to pick up a new book by him, knowing that it was absolutely nothing like his previous novels. I was afraid it would fall short and my literary crush would be forced to dissipate. Definitely didn't want that to happen, so I almost didn't even read this one! That would have been a very bad decision.

Ness creates a character in 13-year-old Conor that leaves the reader heartbroken, yet hopeful. His mom is sick with cancer, slowly succombing to the disease, though Conor believes a monster that comes to him in his backyard can cure her. Different from the monster that has invaded Conor's nightmares since his mother became sick, this one actually communicates with him, wanting something from Conor.

The story, mixed with bold black and white illustrations, is one the reader will not soon be able to forget. Thought-provoking, humbling, and simply beautiful in structure, Conor will fill your heart with the sadness he's feeling, while finally allowing the possibility of his own healing process to come to light. It will haunt you, but in the most perfect of ways.

I loved every minute I spent with this book and highly recommend it!
Erica F.
Santee, CA
I really enjoyed this book, which I feel weird saying based on its topic. It's about this young boy trying to come to terms with the fate his sick mother and the monster who comes calling seeking his truth. A very sad story but a good one nonetheless
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
Which do you prefer? Hard copy or paperback?
Lexy K.
Middle Vlg, NY
Based on the cover, is this a horror story book ?
Nicole D.
What made you read it??
Kayla O.
Cabot, AR
Good book?
Anne F.
Kenmore, WA
What age range would you suggest for this book?