BY A & M / OCTONE

Maroon 5 settled into a cleanly contoured blue-eyed soul groove on 2010's Hands All Over and were rewarded with a clear commercial stumble - a situation somewhat forgotten in light of Adam Levine's 2011 elevation to superstardom via his judgeship on The Voice. Levine didn't abandon his band once he became a TV star. Just as the first season finished, Maroon 5 recorded a duet with Christina Aguilera, "Moves Like Jagger," a single far more modern than anything on Hands All Over and, not surprisingly, a much bigger hit than anything from that 2010 LP. All this set the stage for 2012's Overexposed, its title a smirking allusion to Levine's ubiquity, its sound a reflection of how dearly the group wishes to retain the large audience they won once again with "Moves Like Jagger." Electronic rhythms easily overshadow acoustic rhythms, with even the natural swing playing as somewhat sequenced; each song gets a brittle, multipurpose surface, as easily adaptable for adult contemporary radio as it is for the club. Hooks stab with a steely confidence but they just break the skin; they prick instead of pierce. It's the productions that count, not the songs. What matters is the their cool, sleek sound, the glassiness of the ballads, the cold glint of the dance-pop that dominates this record. Maroon 5's soft swing as a band is pushed to the background - a bonus closing cover of Prince's "Kiss" makes that shift apparent, as the band reworks it into a rockabilly shuffle worthy of Elvis' stage show - and it's missed, but not greatly. Even if Levine's voice sounds a trifle thin in these cool, crisp settings, the band - with the assistance of such guaranteed hitmakers as Max Martin, Shellback, and Ryan Tedder; Levine's usual co-writer and lead guitarist James Valentine only has four credits here - is adept at navigating modern pop waters, creating a record that feels briskly contemporary. They've bent with the times instead of attempting to have the fashion follow them, which may be see more...

Buy on Jet.com
Sydney S.
Okay, who doesn't love Maroon5? They're awesome and Adam is gorgeous! Am I right? I've been listening to them since I was a child and this album isn't anything short of amazing. They never disappoint. I highly recommend checking out this album!
Rachel J.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
This was one of my favorite Maroon 5 albums! My favorite song was Payphone with Wiz Khalifa! I also really liked One More Night! They're music is really unique and would recommend this to pop or rock. I would not advise really young people to listen to it because it is explicit, but I still love this album!
Danielle S.
Louisville , KY
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I am a huge fan of Maroon 5. I have seen them in concert twice when they came in to town. Overexposed is a great album. The songs are amazing and I love Adam Levine's voice, it is very unique. He has great vocals and the band is awesome. This cd is something that I keep in my car
Brandy W.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
If you are a fan of Maroon 5, this is one of their best albums. It includes several singles, including "Payphone", "One more night", "Daylight", and "Love somebody". Probably on of my favorite albums they have released to date.
Angela M.
Derby, KS
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This album wasn't Maroon 5's best. I feel like this album was focusing on experimenting with new sounds. Still entertaining to listen to, some songs just don't sound true to Maroon 5.
Kristen T.
Cross Hill, SC
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Big fan of Maroon 5, and I have to say, this is my favorite album to date. I work at a local bar and I play most of these songs daily/weekly on the jukebox.
Megan O.
Sherwood, OR
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
I am such a big fan of Maroon 5. There are very few artists out there who are as talented as them that actually put time and heart into their songs.
Sarah H.
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
God this badge is getting easy! One great option after another. Maroon 5 is fantastic! Again not every song, but that's why there is a skip button!
Stevie C.
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
Big fan of Maroon 5, this album is no exception! After seeing them perform some of the songs of this album live, I fell in love all over again.
Morgan J.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I like this album . I bought this a long Time back and I think it's worth spending some money on it . I listen to them while cleaning