BY NONE #53 in Movies

The Christmas spirit isn't served up with more heartfelt warmth or observant hilarity that in this beloved adaptation of Jean Shepherd's holiday story. In 1940s Indiana, nine-year-old Ralphie (Peter Billingsley) dreams of his ideal Christmas gift: a genuine Red Ryder 200-shot Carbine Action Air Rifle. But when gruff dad (Darren McGavin) and doting mom (Melinda Dillon) regularly respond with "You'll shoot your eye out!" Ralphie mounts a full-scale, hint-dropping, Santa-begging campaign. He also endures all kinds of childhood calamities from snowsuit paralysis to the yellow-eyed Scotty Farkus affair to the dreaded tongue-on-a-frozen-flagpole gambit. We triple-dog-dare you to unwrap a more welcome Yuletide classic. Actor Commentary, Director Commentary, Original Theatrical Trailer. "Another Christmas Story" Documentary; "Get A Leg Up" and "Daisy Red Ryder: A History" Featurettes and Script Pages. see more...

• Where can I buy this at I've looked everywhere! 2 Answers
  • Is this the movie where the kid gets his tongue stuck to the pole...2 Answers
  • Where can I get this movie? 2 Answers
Buy on Jet.com*
  • "this a family favorite we watch it every year on Christmas eve and Christmas day we actually watch the marathon on TV 24 hours and we sit there and laugh over and over as it was the first time we seen it love love this movie and recommend it" in 7 reviews
Kara E.
La Mirada , CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Nine-year-old Ralphie wants nothing in life more than a Red Rider BB gun. He plots and schemes but no matter where he turns, he is thwarted by the mantra that all adults seem destined to utter, "You'll shoot your eye out." This is a simple story of one family at Christmas time and follows Ralphie as he goes to school, deals with his parents, and keeps fighting to get his BB gun.

This movie was virtually invisible when it was originally released, but has since become a holiday classic. All of us can relate to Ralphie's quest on some level, and many can probably empathize with the parents as well. The cast was virtually perfect from top to bottom and Peter Billingsley's wide eyed innocence is particularly effective. The other standout is Darren McGavin with a wonderful performance as the dad that is understated at some times and wildly exaggerated at others... but always striking the right note at just the right time. The only sour note is kid brother Randy who simply whines and cries throughout the entire movie and adds nothing funny or interesting.

A Christmas Story deserves to be enjoyed each year during the Christmas season. It's a timeless story and captures a little slice of Americana in a unique and charming way. It is shown regularly on TV, but is much more enjoyable when watched uninterrupted and unedited from the DVD.
Deana C.
Pittsburgh, PA
This movie is totally a classic. I remember when I was little my mom did not like this movie for some reason - I think that it was because of the kid getting his tongue stuck to the pole (no spoiler haha). I look forward to watching this movie every Christmas season as it is usually on for 24 Hrs on TV. Got to at least watch it once during that time! Fun fact - Ralphie goes on to play an elf in the movie Elf!
Christen F.
Manalapan, NJ
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Ralphie is my number on man when it comes to Christmas time.  Ralphie is a cute kid who goes through a crazy life around Christmas time.  He dreams of getting a be be gun for Christmas and is told he will shot his eye out.  He also gets in some trouble when he mother heard him curse and makes him sit with a bar of soap in his mouth.  Poor Ralphie... you'll shoot your eye out... Go ut and watch this Christmas classic.
Angela S.
Jackson, MO
This is my all time favorite christmas movie! We watch it on christmas eve and some on christmas day. I never miss it and it makes the holidays seem bright and jolly. My favorite scene is the diner scene where they are singing christmas carols. We join in and sing with them.
Tiffany J.
Such a classic! This and It's A Wonderful Life are the only movies that I can't turn away from when they come on. Every year I find myself watching the marathon and it always is as funny as the first time. I always tell myself as soon as I have a son/daughter they are definitely getting the bunny pajamas lol
Melissa C.
New Albany, OH
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
This is absolutely a classic when it comes to films and especially Christmas films! I think no matter what age, everyone can relate to this film and how it was growing up! Such classic scenes like the telephone pole!
Megan R.
Colts neck, NJ
This is my all-time favourite holiday movie. Every year we watch it on Christmas Eve. It was a big deal when I was growing up once I was old enough to stay up with my parents and watch it. Every year we gather around with holiday snacks and watch together, then open a present at the end of the movie before going to bed.
There are certain traditions that can make you feel cozy and happy no matter how many miles separate you and your family. This movie provides that for me. It's timeless; it's a classic, and it will never stop being a perfect Christmas film.
Laura M.
Salem, OR
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
This movie is the classic Holiday Movie, it has stood the test of time, and has now become a movie that everyone who has seen it will seek out to watch every Christmas! The story is about a little boy who is determined to see Santa Clause so that he can get his dream toy ( a riffle) , of course parents are always the once you have to convince because of the safety hazard, so without spoiling the end, in case there is ONE of you who haven't seen it, you MUST! Great characters, story line, and it keeps you laughing through out the entire movie. We all know this family in our neighborhood.... go out and get it so you can watch it anytime during the holidays and not wait until it's on television.
Venita M.
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
Omgosh! This is one of my favs. I watch it every year. Sometimes I'll do the whole day (when they do the 24 hr marathon). My mom just don't get why I keep watching it. It is such a fun movie. And that leg lamp was just too much :) There are some good moments in the film but really it's all about Ralphie's single mindedness of getting a bb gun and everyone telling him he'll shoot his eye out. LOL For some reason they show it more in November than December. Actually they don't show near as many Christmas movies as they used to but that a whole different rant.
Brittney S.
Belmont, NC
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Every year I wait for Christmas time to come around and watch this movie. It starts on Christmas eve and ends midnight the next day. The only thing I watch during the holidays. My dad was the one who got me into this movie, so every year we watch it together now. My favorite line is "you'll shoot your eye out" that never gets old to hear. To me this is the only Christmas movie worth watching besides "Nightmare Before Christmas" those two re the only movies I'll watch for Christmas. I cant wait for this movie to come back on so I can watch it.
Nicole C.
Mullins, SC
Do you think it would be awesome if they did an updated remake of this? I'm leaning towards, if it ain't broke don't fix it...
Joshala J.
How do you pronounce fragile :)?
Anayely A.
Who is ready for christmas?
Ashley G.
Where can I buy this at I've looked everywhere!
Krystine B.
Is this the movie where the kid gets his tongue stuck to the pole outside?