BY PENGUIN GROUP

View our feature on George Orwell's "1984." Written in 1948, "1984" was George Orwell's chilling prophecy about the future. And while 1984 has come and gone, Orwell's narrative is timelier than ever. "1984" presents a startling and haunting vision of the world, so powerful that it is completely convincing from start to finish. No one can deny the power of this novel, its hold on the imaginations of multiple generations of readers, or the resiliency of its admonitions-a legacy that seems only to grow with the passage of time. see more...

• On a scale from 1-10, 1 being boring and 10 being interes...3 Answers
  • This is random.. but how do you know if a book is unabrid...1 Answers
Buy on Walmart*
Anndria T.
A chilling book just like Brave New World was. I think this is definitely a notable major literary work. It is definitely a must read for all classic book lovers. This book stands the test of time. I believe this can be purchased at Barnes and Nobles.
Holly R.
OH
I had to read this book for my school's AP english class and I really enjoyed it. It is a very unique book that really makes you feel like you are in it. It is portrayed as a very dark and gloomy distopian novel. It makes you think about the current events that are going on in the world and how we must be careful. It is a very interesting read and I suggest it to everyone whether they have to read it for class or not.
Marie K.
Powell, TN
I absolutely love this book. It's the first one on my "Rory Gilmore Challenge" list and I am so glad I didn't skip over it. It's amazing how even though published in 1948, it literally describes the world today. Definitely recommend to read at least once.
Angel O.
Lexington, NC
Read this book in highschool. I actually enjoyed it, despite it being assigned.

I definitely recommend it. It is a distopian society and "big brother watching" is such an important pop culture reference, that you have to read this book. It is really interesting and poignant.
Sarah P.
White Plains, NY
There is a reason this book is an American Classic,
George Orwell's 1984, is a dystopian tale of what the year may have be like, written well before it came.
It was a quick, enjoyable read, that I think everyone should read at least once in their life
Anne N.
I just started this book, and so far, it's pretty interesting. It gets a bit boring and confusing as you go, but I heard its good so I'm continuing to read it. You have to have a bit of knowledge of George Orwell and his time period to have a better understanding and grasp of this book though. Animal Farm is also good :)
Brittany M.
Morgantown, WV
A classic! A right of passage! I have read this book once in high school and I picked it up again recently. Especially with recent current events, this book gives a great insight into what could potentially happen. The cost is low, it's a great summer read! Make your teens read this!
Kirsten T.
My favourite book ever! I read this in one sitting in high school. It's gripping, enthralling, and very thought provoking (no pun to the Thought Police). It's a great book for discussions and interpretations!
Alaina S.
Had to read this for my honors English class... It was okay but not a real page turner for me. It's okay but I would rather read something about a murder! Makes you think if you are into that type of thing.
Holly N.
Bowling Green, KY
I had to read this book in high school and this was one of the few books that I was assigned that I fell in love with. There are so many parallels to today's society and it is a real page turner.
Jessica D.
Wichita, KS
On a scale from 1-10, 1 being boring and 10 being interesting, how would you rank this novel?
Tanya O.
This is random.. but how do you know if a book is unabridged or abridged? When I search for books it rarely says what version is the book; I would prefer finding the unabridged being that the other versions cut parts of the story. thanks in advance