Treat Yourself: Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes (with Maple Cinnamon Frosting!)
With Fall weather comes my desire to bake all kinds of goodies. I’ve been eating a healthy, plant based diet and trying to resist the pull of the oven, but today we went out to get our pumpkins and mums for outdoor decorating, and I just couldn’t help but finish off the day in the kitchen baking pumpkin-y treats.
This recipe is a real dessert – it’s not “healthy” but it is vegan. Even though I’m indulging, I am sticking to my plant based diet. It’s not something to eat every day but as a special treat for Fall, these cupcakes hit the spot.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 1 dozen
1½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
½ cup pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin or line with paper liners. and set aside.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl mix combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
3. In a larger bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer) combine sugar, milk, pumpkin, vanilla, and vinegar.
4. Begin mixing on low speed, adding in dry mixture a third at a time until all ingredients are combined.
5. Spoon batter into cupcake pan until each cake is about ⅔ full.
6. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.
7. Cool completely before frosting.
While cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
Maple Cinnamon Frosting
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (or non-dairy milk of your choice)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Whip together all ingredients until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate until cupcakes are cooled, then frost.
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes so make sure you’ve got some friends to share them with, and enjoy!
Get more great recipes from Jen at her blog, Driftwood Gardens!