Treat Yourself: Eggless Chocolate Cupcakes
Last week my building had a Halloween trick or treating event for all the little kiddies. I was super psyched to make some cupcakes when I realized I was out of eggs. Womp womp. Then I stumbled across Buttercream & Chantilly Factories eggless chocolate cupcake recipe- my life saver. I made a few changes here and there with what I had and I ended up with delicious fluffy cupcakes to go with my SUPER fluffy vanilla mascarpone whipped cream frosting. I topped each cupcake with a pumpkin spice malt ball and called it a day.
Some quick tips: use the batter immediately and don’t over mix! The leavener in this recipe is the reaction between the vinegar and baking soda. If you over mix or wait too long to bake them then all the bubbles from the reaction go away and you’ll have a deflated cupcake, which is no fun. Also, it’s vegan if you pair it with a vegan frosting! Enjoy. :)
1.5 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp strong coffee
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F and line standard muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugars, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Give it a good stir and set aside.
3. In another bowl, mix the milk, coffee, vanilla extract, oil and apple cider vinegar together. The milk will curdle here and make a weird looking buttermilk. Don’t fret. This is normal!
4. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until the batter is lump free. I like to use a whisk here to keep it airy and break up the lumps easily.
5. Immediately, fill each cupcake liner 2/3 of the way full. Bake cupcakes until testers inserted into centers come out clean, about 20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for 10 minutes.
Head over to my blog, Pretty Polymath to get my vanilla mascarpone whipped cream frosting recipe! It’s so fluffy you’re gonna die!