Summer Fun: Crafts for Mom + Kids
There is something particularly special that happens to children when summer comes around. Personalities bloom, energy is at an all time high and fun crafts and activities are a must. No kid or parent likes to be stuck in the house on a beautiful day, so we've found outdoor crafts and activities for you and your tots to take part in together! These fun and interactive crafts include everything from paint wars (washable of course) to glow in the dark bowling!
This activity is just as fun as it sounds! Incorporate the fun use of a squirt gun with the idea of painting! This activity is sure to please any child and lets them create a work of art, while having a lot of fun.
What You’ll Need:
Squirt Gun (One for each person or one for each color)
Set It Up:
1. Arrange easel in your yard
2. Clip two pieces of watercolor paper to easel or use 1 piece if large enough to cover the easel
3. Fill water guns with liquid color
4. Go to town!
Quick Tip! Let your kiddios run through the sprinklers to rinse off after for added fun!
Sidewalk chalk has been a staple in every kid's summer for years and years. This fun DIY sidewalk chalk lets you take the fun to the next level. Create your own colors and shapes for your chalk and enjoy!
What You'll Need:
Plaster Of Paris (dry powder, not mixed)
Silicon Mold in a shape of your choice
Set It Up:
1. For each color you will need a separate cup
2. Fill each cup with 3/4 cup of water
3. Add 1/4 cup of paint to the cup of water
4. Add 1 cup of Plaster of Paris and mix well
5. Pour mixture into molds of your choice
6. If you want to layer colors just pour the first color in and add the second or third on top (don’t mix them)
7. Let dry for 24 hours. Remove them from the mold. Then let them dry outside the molds for an additional 24 hours.
Ice cream on a warm summer day is one of the best ways to cool down. And trust us, your kiddies will agree! This is an easy and fun DIY homemade ice cream in a bag! Watch your child's eyes as they see this crazy concoction in a bag turn into their favorite frozen treat. It is so easy and tasty you’ll want to make your own!
What You'll need:
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 cup of Milk
½ tsp of Vanilla
6 tablespoons of coarse salt
2 large gallon sized ziploc bags
Set It Up:
1. Fill up one bag halfway full of ice and add the salt.
2. In the second bag, add sugar, milk, and vanilla.
3. Make sure the bag is sealed tight.
4. Place the milk mixture bag in the ice bag. Seal it and then shake it for about 6 – 7 minutes
Every child enjoys a fun activity like bowling, but add glowing pins and an outdoor setting and you'll be the talk of all moms! This is a fun activity that you and your children can create and play together!
What You'll Need
1 ball heavy enough to knock over water bottles (basketball, soccer ball etc.)
6 water bottles
Paper and pencil to keep score
Set it up:
1. Peel the labels off of the water bottles to make it easier to see the glowing pins.
2. Follow the directions on the glowstick packages and “ crack” each stick to activate the chemicals to get them glowing! (Kids love to partake in this)
3. Add one glow stick to each water bottle to create six bowling pins. Be sure to leave approximately 1 inch (2.54 cm) of headspace in the water bottles to prevent overflow when adding the glow sticks.
4. Set up bowling alley
So, what crafts will you be doing with your kids this summer? Tell us about it in the comments below!