This is a really special mani for a really special cause. For those who don't know, November is also called Movember to raise awareness for men's health, specifically prostate cancer and testicular cancer. In the spirit of this, I decided to create some fun "manly" nail art to show my support!
Did you know?
- Prostate cancer is one of the most controversial cancers in both diagnosis and treatment. This is the second most common cancer that affects men after lung cancer.
- The risk of developing prostate cancer increases after the age of 50 years.
- Majority of prostate cancer are diagnosed in men over 65 years.
- There are over 2 million American men currently living with prostate cancer.
- Charles B. Huggins in 1941 was awarded a Nobel prize for understanding that prostate cancer was dependent on testosterone for its growth and spread and this could be reversed by giving estrogens, the so called ‘Chemical Castration’.
- Prostate Specific Antigen - a marker to diagnose prostate cancer was first used in forensic investigation to determine if a stain on the undergarment was due to semen or not.
- The use of ‘robotics in surgery’ is most commonly deployed for removing a malignant prostate cancer from the pelvis.
- Prostate cancer is a relatively slow-growing cancer. For all stages of the cancer the average 5-year survival rate is 98% and the 10-year survival rate is 84%. Remember - Most people die with this cancer and not of it.
Want to see more manicures from Noelle? Head to her blog!