Influenster Talks: Fashion & Beauty Blogging
Since I started blogging back in early 2011, I've noticed that year after year the fashion and beauty blogging scene gets bigger and bigger. I mean, it really has become quite a big trend if you think about it!
I remember a few years ago that beauty blogging was a big separate from fashion blogging. Now, not only do we have new bloggers on the scene but also fashion bloggers who are delving into beauty blogging as well. Beauty and fashion blogging is becoming an expanded niche and is even starting to cover more lifestyle topics like decor, DIY's and food.
A few years ago, it used to be okay to shoot and post photos that weren't the best quality or edited right, but now I think we can all agree that images are everything. On most blogs you will find that their images are well thought out in advance and edited to ensure that they get a ton of re-pins on Pinterest. If you were to look through my blog, you'll probably be able to notice that my photos have changed quite a bit since I started taking them. This is due to learning more about what I like in terms of product photography, but also practice and adapting to the ever-changing trends and requirements for fashion and beauty blogging.
The hustle is real when it comes to making your blog stand out among the thousands out there. I've learned that with blogging in this industry, there's never a point where you can just sit back and think your work is done. It is definitely challenging and hard work to keep chipping away at making your blog successful. But with passion and dedication, it is one of the most rewarding jobs I've ever had.
Thinking about starting your own blog? Here are my tips for getting you started!
1. Think HARD about your blog name: Since you will find thousands and thousands of blogs out there, you should know that most blog names are already taken. You need to get creative and think of a name that not only speaks to you and your style but also one that has a nice ring to it and would flow well on a blog. Jot down all of your ideas and then do a search to find out what's already taken then narrow it down and go from there. You'll start to feel those creative juices flowing as you play with wording which will get you the name that's right for you that is also available!
2. Choose the right platform for your blog: Thinking back on when I started my blog, I might have gone for WordPress instead of Blogger but to each their own and I'm learning to deal with Blogger and all of its quirks. Are you a whiz at all of that tech stuff or do you need more guidance when it comes to putting everything together? WordPress is great for someone a little more advanced, where as Blogger is a great platform for someone who is a bit more beginner. You can always switch over later on down the road if you really want to.. it's just an annoying process! :P
3. Sign up for all social media channels: You don't want to miss out on getting your username before someone else thinks it up! Even if you're not sure if you're going to use something like Pinterest, for example, or not, you might as well get signed up for it just in case!
4. Get started on a design scheme: Blog design is one of the major ways to get your blog noticed, so you need to either spend money on a template/theme or know a good web designer who can do it for you. My blog's design in the beginning was pretty crappy, but I was constantly trying to figure out how to make it better on my own. I ended up buying a template on Etsy at the end of last year and it really made me see that it's worth spending those extra dollars on something that'll make your blog special.
5. Have a few blog posts on the go: To get you started, have some blog posts ready so you have stuff to share with everyone. You don't want to get started with one awesome blog post and then not have any ideas for what you're going to post next. This gets you into a good blogging rhythm and shows everyone out there that you're serious and one to watch out for!
6. Network: No man or woman is an island, as they say, so don't think you can go on blogging all by your lonesome! Use your social media channels to get connected with other bloggers and start building those friendships. Don't flog them with your blog posts, but interact with them on what they've been posting (comment on their blog posts!) and just get to know them. If you have any questions about blogging or just want to talk about life, I'm available on Twitter. I'm pretty easy to talk to and I love meeting new people and helping in any way that I can.
I could have turned this post into a book, but I thought I'd give a quick list on my top blogging tips. I've learned so much by researching online, buying tons of books, and going to seminars -- there's always something new to learn and I love it! I will be writing more about blogging and my experiences with it in upcoming posts which you won't want to miss out on!
Have you tried starting your own fashion or beauty blog? If you are a blogger, what are some things you've learned along the way?
For more tips and tricks from Kelly, visit her blog at Glitter Diaries!