How to Use Coconut Oil
Oh the magic that is coconut oil - the do-it-all product that you can literally use for everything. Dry hair? Check! Household cleaner? Check! Healthy cooking? Yup, that too. The list of uses for this "it" fruit-oil are endless and we wanted to share our favorite uses. Before we get into the nitty gritty, check out some of our favorite coconut oils.
Our Favorite Coconut Oils:
DIY HAIR MASK
Whether the summer sun is drying out our hair or we are over using heat products, most could agree our hair needs a little TLC. Coconut oil melts into a luxurious liquid at 76°F making it the perfect consistency for a hair mask!
1) Melt your coconut oil by running the jar under the water while in the shower.
2) Shampoo your locks.
3) Squeeze out excess water and apply a generous amount of oil to your hair.
4) Let sit for 5 minutes and rinse!
5) Voilá! You have hydrated, bouncy, beautiful, and shiny hair!
Coconut oil whitens teeth, improves oral hygiene, improves your skin... and the list goes on. You may have heard a little about oil pulling if you're a Pinterest addict! We are literally obsessed with it! Swish it around and see the benefits!
1) Put one tablespoon of coconut oil into your mouth.
2) Swish it around as if you have mouthwash in for 3-10 minutes.
3) Just as you would do with a mouthwash, spit and rinse.
4) Do this daily and enjoy its effects.
We've all had to deal with it at one time or another, the infamous gum debacle. Whether it's in your hair or your carpet, gum can be nasty to remove. That's when coconut oil comes to the rescue!
1) Apply coconut oil on to gum and area around gum.
2) Let coconut oil sit for about 1 minute.
3) Slide the gum off of whatever surface to which it is stuck.
Our favorite recipes almost always call for butter or some type of cooking oil, which may taste delicious, but is not as healthy for you as it could be. Enter coconut oil, a cooking and baking alternative to butters and oils, that tastes as delicious it is healthy! You should definitely learn how to Substitute Coconut Oil
So, what are your favorite ways to use coconut oil? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Graphics courtsey of Greatist.com