This edition of Household Hacks is packed with tips on how to use a simple household ingredient that has been a key component in cleaning for generations—baking soda!
No matter how clean you consider your home, your rugs and carpets can always use a little extra attention. Prep by vacuuming your rug to remove any lingering dirt and grime. Follow with a liberal sprinkling of baking soda and let it sit for as long as possible; overnight is ideal! Vacuum up the excess baking soda in the morning and take a deep breath! The baking soda will have absorbed the unwanted smells and leave you with a fresh result.
Superhero Name? The Deodorizer
Bad odors are no match for baking soda. You can deodorize many things around your home with just a sprinkle of this miracle worker, especially in your kitchen!
● Refrigerator: Place an open box of baking soda in the back of your fridge and replace as directed.
● Cutting Board: Sprinkle your cutting board with baking soda, scrub and rinse.
● Trash Can: Sprinkle baking soda at the bottom of your trash can before installing the bag to keep stinky smells at bay. Repeat each time you take out the garbage.
● Drains: Pour a ½ cup of baking soda down the drain while running hot tap water to keep it fresh! Repeat once a week.
● Dishwasher: While you wait for a full dishwasher before running the next cycle, it can get very smelly very quickly. Sprinkle baking soda in the dishwasher to deodorize the many smells of dinners past. BONUS: it will act as a gentle cleanser during the wash cycle!
Baking soda is a natural antacid that can combat heartburn and indigestion. Dissolve a teaspoon of baking soda in an 8-ounce glass of water and drink up! It will help to neutralize the acid in your stomach and relieve the unwanted symptoms.
Looking for a natural way to remove pesticides from your fruit and veggies? Wash your produce in a bowl of cold water and a few tablespoons of baking soda. Let each piece of fruit or veg sit for a few minutes before rinsing it off. This also works to remove wax and dirt!
What are your baking soda hacks? Tell us in the comments below and you could be featured on Influenster!