Do's and Don'ts When Writing a Product Review
If you're new to Influenster, you might be wondering—what is all this about? Well, Influenster is a resource for you to discover and learn about products. Did you know we have more than 11 million reviews on nearly 1.7 million products on our site and on the Influenster app? The Influenster community is here to make shopping easier with insights and opinions from makeup mavens, foodie enthusiasts, pro-parents, techies, and more—real people like you!
Another big part of being an Influenster is sharing your opinions with the community. The Reviews section of the site is your place to shine! Writing helpful reviews and asking and answering questions not only helps others make informed decisions, but it also increases your chances of receiving free products to test!
So, in order to make sure you're doing all you can to contribute to the community, consider these Do's and Don'ts:
- DO write reviews on products you’ve actually tried (and only on products you’ve tried): We want to hear your opinion, but please hold off on writing a review until you have tried the product. If you haven’t tried the product, try asking a question about it instead.
- DO tell us more: The more detail, the better! Simply saying you loved or hated a product is very succinct and to the point, but keep in mind this might not be very helpful to someone who is looking for some advice. Why do you feel the way you do about a product? Elaborate a little! Let everyone know what caused you to form your opinions.
- DO keep it honest: Every Influenster has a unique perspective! That's why we love hearing what everyone has to say. Write from the heart and share your feelings about the product the way you would to a close friend. Tell us about your experience and really let the community know what you think.
- If you received a product for free, DO disclose that information in your review: So, you got your first VoxBox—woohoo! Now it's time to write a review on all the fun stuff you tested. Make sure you clearly let people know you received the products for free! Maybe you think it's overpriced - tell them! Maybe this is something you wouldn't have tried otherwise but were pleasantly surprised - include that! Regardless of the situation, be sure to disclose that you received your product for free so you're giving people the full and honest story.
- DON’T write a review on a product you have not tried— reviews that start with “I have not tried this product” will be removed. We want reviews to be as accurate and helpful as possible, so please hold off on writing a review until you have tried the product.
- DON’T leave short and vague reviews: Phrases like “This is great,” “I love this,” or “I recommend this product” are a good start but not helpful to our community if you don’t provide some reasons why.
- DON’T copy or reuse reviews: Keep it original. Although you may agree with what someone else has said, let us know in your own words. Plagiarizing multiple times may disqualify you for any future campaigns. Similarly, each product is unique so be sure to write a unique review specific to that product! A review that has been used for multiple products will be removed.