Best Ikea Hacks for Small Living Spaces
When I walk into IKEA, my initial thoughts can go one of two ways: I could either be overwhelmed and feel like I’m in the middle of some never-ending labyrinth, or I could feel like I’m reenacting a scene from 500 Days of Summer and treat the place like an adult Disneyland. That being said, since I’ve moved into my first big girl apartment, I’ve discovered the beauty that is IKEA. With just about every storage and decoration option you could need for your home, it might just be your one-stop shop. In fact, people have found inventive ways to re-purpose IKEA pieces to fully customize their living space.
For those living in tiny, cramped little spaces—we can keep telling ourselves these spaces “have character”, but realistically it is a tight squeeze—here are some of my favorite Ikea hacks to give your limited space more functionality.
Into a narrow console table!
This narrow console sill takes up SO much less space (and costs so much less) than a big coffee table, but still has plenty of great room for storing small items or decor.
Find the full tutorial on Hey Let’s Make Stuff.
2. Transform a BEKVÄM spice rack:
Into just about any storage solution!
Spice up your space with these multifunctional spice racks, which are sure to make storage in just about any room an absolute breeze. Whether you’re storing items on a wall, or inside a cupboard door, you’ll find yourself the envy of your less organized friends. Not to mention, they’re super easy to paint and customize to any living space!
See more ways to re-purpose the spice racks on HomedIt.
3. Transform the Fintorp System:
Into a versatile hanging organizer!
Like the spice rack, the sky is the limit with the possibilities for this hanging rod system. Let your creativity inspire you on innovative ways to clear up space and keep your essentials visible. From the kitchen to the bathroom to the bedroom to a crafting space, any room would benefit from one of these!
Find more ideas at Apartment Therapy.
4. Transform the SKURAR Plant Pot:
Into a brush holder or lamp shade!
These adorable little plant pots can be re-purposed into so many things, including a holder to keep your makeup brushes organized, or a lamp shade to add some elegance to your lighting!
5. Transform a LACK Side Table:
Into a stylish ottoman!
The great thing about this tutorial it that you are able to fully customize the ottoman to whatever colors and designs you want to match your living space. The side tables already come in a variety of finishes, and the fabric choice is up to you! Not to mention, these adorable ottomans are much more efficient sitting options than bigger, chunkier chairs. No need to scrap on style if you’re tight on space!
Find the complete instructions on Infarrantly Creative.
If you’re looking for more ways to customize your home decor, try out these simple and inexpensive ways to bring your own splash of color and personality to your living space:
1. Spray Paint: Metallic finishes are a great way to make any old piece of furniture look more modern and sophisticated. Or add some pops of color with more saturated shades!
2. Contact Paper: The possibilities are endless, but one of my personal favorites is a marble print. This bad boy will bring instant class to any outdated piece in your home.
3. Washi Tape: I’d like to think of this stuff as stickers for adults. Functional and offered in a huge variety of prints and colors, go crazy with washi tape when decorating your walls to show off your personality.
4. Chalkboard Paint: Painting a wall or piece of furniture with chalkboard instantly doubles its functionality. Not only are you utilizing unused space, you’ll find yourself even more organized by writing out your schedules and to-do lists on your new fancy chalkboard!
5. Faceted Knobs: One of my favorite ways to revamp an old piece of furniture like a set of drawers or a cabinet is by switching out those dated knobs for something more modern that’ll fit in much better with this decade and your choice decor!
What are your favorite IKEA products? Know of any other handy hacks that have transformed your living space? Share with us in the comments below!