Ale & Cheddar Soup
A heavenly ale and melted cheddar soup seasoned with smoky bacon and spicy jalapeno peppers: pure comfort in a bowl!
Let's not even try to fool ourselves here -- there is nothing at all healthy about this soup, but it is so, so good. I am already craving another bowl!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
1/2 pound bacon (preferably smoked or double smoked), cut into 1 inch slices (omit and replace with 2 tablespoons of oil or butter for vegetarian)
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2+ jalapeno peppers, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour (rice flour for gluten free)
1 (~12 ounce) bottle ale
2 cups chicken broth or chicken stock or vegetable broth
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
cayenne, salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat and set aside on paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the grease in the pan.
2. Add the onion, celery, and jalapenos and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
4. Add the butter and let it melt and get all bubbly, then sprinkle on the flour and let it cook until it starts to turn golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the ale and broth and deglaze the pan before adding the bacon and then let cook for 10 minutes.
6. Add the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, cream, and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted without bringing it back to a boil.
7. Season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
Slow Cooker: Implement step 1, optionally implement steps 2 & 3, implement step 4, place everything except the cream and cheese in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or high for 2-4 hours before adding the cream and cheese and letting the cheese melt.
What do you think about this recipe? Let me know in the comments section below.