Wearing SPF Everyday is Easier Than You Think
Protect your skin, year round
Hopefully, you already know how important it is to wear SPF. Used regularly, sunscreen helps maintain even skin tone and prevents sunburn, skin cancer, and some signs of premature aging. You may be thinking, "But what about cloudy days or if I’m inside all day? What about the winter time?" Yes, you still should wear a sunscreen. Even in overcast conditions, up to 80% of the sun’s rays are still passing through the clouds and being absorbed by your skin. Avid skiers and snowboarders know that the presence of snow can nearly double the amount of ultraviolet radiation your skin absorbs! And even if you’re inside all day, those UVA and UVB rays are sneaking in through windows and soaking into your skin.
Most people (myself included, until recently) assume that the higher a sunscreen’s SPF, the better it works. This isn’t always the case, for a variety of scientific reasons. For the sake of simplicity, we’re going to go with the Environmental Working Group’s recommendation, which is that SPFs between 30 and 50 work perfectly well for daily use.
Mineral vs. Chemical Sunscreens
There are two types of sunscreen products you’ll see on the market: mineral and chemical. What’s the difference? Chemical sunscreens penetrate into your skin, protecting you by dissipating UV rays. Mineral sunscreens simply sit on top of your skin and reflect UV rays away. You may have heard of “reef safe” SPFs - these are mineral. Some chemical sunscreens are harmful to reefs, causing sunscreen-induced coral bleaching. Many doctors and environmentalists advise using mineral SPF if you can, however when it comes to protecting your skin, either one is better than nothing.
Getting SPF into your daily routine doesn’t have to be a hassle. With so many products on the market, there’s a million ways to mindlessly incorporate it! Based on your needs, we broke it down into a few categories:
Let’s start with the face:
- If you want protection and hydration, try La Roche-Posay Anthelios Mineral SPF 30 Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid. This mineral-filter sunscreen moisturizer is packed with the benefits of 12-hour hydration and hyaluronic acid. The gentle, non-greasy daily face cream provides a comfortable feel, leaving skin soft, soothered and hydrated. For all skin types, especially dry and sensitive.
- If you’re on the oily side, try CeraVe Ultra-Light Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30. This lightweight, non-comedogenic moisturizer is ideal for normal to oily skin. It’s packed with hyaluronic acid and ceramides to help skin retain its natural moisture and restore it’s barrier. Non-greasy, this moisturizer leaves skin with a matte finish!
- If you really want to sneak SPF into every step, use Maybelline Fit Me Matte and Poreless Mattifying Face Primer SPF 20. This product mattifies and primes the face while keeping you protected! Can be worn with makeup or without - blurring pores for flawless-looking skin and controlling shine for up to 16 hours.
- If you want a hint of tint (and to guarantee no white cast), try CeraVe Hydrating Mineral Sunscreen Sheer Tint with SPF 30. It has three essential ceramides, and provides UVA/UVB protection with 100%-mineral titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, forming a barrier on the surface of your skin to reflect the sun’s rays.
- If you want light coverage too, try Laura Mercier Natural Skin Perfector SPF 30. This best-selling tinted moisturizer recently came out with an expanded shade range. It’s long-wearing, light-coverage, and infused with skincare benefits for up to 24-hour hydration with SPF 30 for protection.
- If you want more coverage, try It Cosmetics CC+ Cream with SPF 50. This color-correcting, full coverage foundation is packed with mineral SPF 50 and delivers a flawless, natural finish.
- If you’re into powder, try Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Airbrushing Pressed Powder SPF 30. Perfect for setting your face, or to wear alone, this powder delivers 16-hour airbrushed coverage, visibility reducing the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, pores, and sun damage. The minimalist formula helps reduce irritation and breakouts, making it ideal for sensitive or break-out-prone skin.
- If you want SPF around your eyes, try Supergoop! Bright-Eyed 100% Mineral Eye Cream SPF 40. This non-nano, 100% zinc oxide (mineral) daytime eye cream is perfect for instantly brightening your under-eyes while protecting the delicate eye area from UV rays.
- For your lips, try Sunbum Lip Balm SPF 30. Made with aloe vera and cocoa butter, this balm repairs and enhances skin renewal on the lips while providing protection. Not to mention the scent is to die for.
- If you have scarring on your face, try an SPF with healing powers. Sun exposure can actually darken the appearance of scars, but Mederma's Scar Cream Plus SPF 30 helps you prevent sunburn while also working to make your scar less noticeable. It is clinically shown to reduce discoloration and improve the overall appearance, softness, and texture of new and old scars.
Now that we’ve covered every inch and step for your face, let's get to the body!
For all over your body:
- CeraVe Hydrating Sunscreen. This lightweight, oil-free mineral sunscreen provides broad-spectrum SPF 50 protection and hyaluronic acid for long-lasting moisture.
- Supergoop! Glow Screen Body. Ready to glow? This body lotion with SPF 40 has a subtle shimmer, giving an all-over healthy glow while protecting you from UV rays!
- Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protector Lotion. This invisible sunscreen veil actually becomes more effective in heat and water. Its ocean-friendly formula is free of oxybenzone and octinoxate, and Hawaii compliant.
How many of you wear SPF every day? Let us know which products you trust to keep the sun's rays at bay in the comments below!