BY SKINFOOD #46 in Face Masks

• Has anybody tried the different skinfood masks? What is the diffe...2 Answers
  • Is this rough on the skin? I know some facial scrubs actually tea...1 Answers
Samantha F.
Saint Paul, MN
This product is probably my favorite exfoliating mask. Enough so that despite still having a few more uses worth left in my regular size 3.53 oz jar, I ordered a double size 7.05 oz jar.
The mask has a pleasant, sweet scent. The only negative, really, is that it makes me a bit hungry. The scent isn't incredibly strong, nor is it floral, so anybody sensitive to those kinds of smells shouldn't have trouble using this mask.
The mask itself is thick enough with granules large enough that I can feel it putting it on, but not so much that it feels like an uncomfortable abrasion like some physical exfoliants. Some people may find the sticky texture off-putting, but it's not something that bothers me personally. If you've ever gotten a bunch of loose sugar on your hands while eating a sweet candy or baking, the sensation is a bit similar to that, with a thick gel filling up the rest of the space.
The most "difficult" part of using this mask is probably washing it off. The sugar tends to be a bit hard to remove entirely, and it especially likes to cling to my eyebrows if I get it in them. I think this is a bit of an inevitability for many physical exfoliants, though, and it really didn't detract from my experience much.
Now, for the most important part - how did my skin feel while using it and afterwards? While the mask is on, I've never really noticed it all that much aside from the stickiness. I don't feel any kind of "magical exfoliating magic" happening. Immediately after washing the mask off though, my skin feels so smooth, it's amazing. The mask doesn't dry out my skin at all and I don't end up with that uncomfortably scrubbed feeling you sometimes get with other masks. I've never had trouble with it breaking me out or anything, and my skin always feels so hydrated but firm the morning after I use it.
Overall, this is a great mask! I can't guarantee that everyone will have the same experience as me - people have different skin after all - but I can certify that I enjoy using it and that you should give it a shot if you ever have the opportunity.
Himali B.
Denver, CO
I am a fab of Korean skincare brands. Tgeyvsuit me the best & I absolutely love this mask from skinfood. I would have given it 10 stars if I could I like it so much. This is by far the best black sugar mask which I have ever used. I loved it from the first use itself as I could see the results almost immediately it's so amazing.

The texture is very smooth with sugar granules & it's dark brown in color. It doesn't come with a applicator. The application is very easy. I start with cleansing my face & then massaging this mask gently onto my damp face, then I add water to it which makes it chahe it's color to light brown. Then I massage little bit more & leave it for drying for 10-15 miintures. Washing off is easy too just add water & it becomes soft again, I clean it with a sponge. After removing the mask my skin feels rejuvanted. It's clear, soft, smooth & glowing. This is one of the masks with which you can see the effect immediately. I like to use it whenever I am going out for dinner or meeting friends & have less time to get ready. This mask makes my skin look amazing.

I have acne prone combination sensitive skin & I follow kbeauty 10 steps skincare routine this mask has definitely definitely has helped me to improve my skincare game. Also, I don't believe in hsrsb exfokiating creams & scrubs. This mask helps exfoliate my skin without being harsh or making my skin too try it irritated. Also, it never makes me breakout which is great as a lot of scrubs & exfoliators make me breakout.

I generally by mine online from Amazon.com.
I highly recommend it & will definitely be buying it again.
Sandra D.
I just recently received a sample of this and couldn't wait to try it. The sample I received smelled like lemon, which surprised me. But since I love the scent of lemon, I instantly fell in love with this mask. I don't think it smells like a cleaner, like some have said. More like freshly cut lemons, a lot of them. 😂 🍋🍋🍋 The mask spreads on easily and exfoliates beautifully. But be careful if you have sensitive skin. Use it very gently or, mix with a tiny bit of warm water to slightly melt the sugar before applying to your face. You don't want to completely melt the sugar crystals before applying it, so don't use really hot water. I let it sit on my skin for 15 minutes and then removed it with my ECOTOOLS MASK REMOVER SPONGES 3PK which makes the process so much quicker. Afterwards, my skin felt smooth and fresh. The lemon scent didn't remain. So if you're not a fan of lemons, you don't have to worry about being stuck with the smell after. My skin did feel just ever so slightly tight after, but I was applying a serum and moisturizer anyway, so no big deal. I highly recommend this mask if you want a good natural exfoliator
Amber N.
Killeen, TX
I got this as a sample in my ipsy and I am so glad that I did. My face has been dry like it normally is during the winter so I decided to give it a go. I was surprised my how thick it was and how little you need to use. I got my face a little wet and it went on very easily. Then there is the smell. It smells like lemons. I love citrus scented items and I know lemons are very good for the skin. When I removed the mask my face felt hydrated and smooth. I didn't have the problem of the sugar trying to stick to my face it was very easy to remove with a rag and warm water. I would recommend this item for sure and I will be buying the full size product. I'm so happy it's affordable!
Nina T.
Springfield, MO
This mask is my absolute holy grail when I need a pick me up. I use it about 2x/week, and would not recommend using it more than 3x.
The sugar granules in the mask are large enough so you can feel them, but they massage down. Its fairly easy to apply, and it sits nice on the face - no weird reactions. After I wash it off with lukewarm water and pat my face dry, I follow up with my toner. This mask leaves my face baby soft and smooth, improves dullness and exfoliates any dead skin I have, which in turn helps clear and prevent acne, which I, unfortunately, have. It smells wonderful, and the 200g lasts me a while! Would recommend to anyone and everyone.
Elizabeth G.
This is a really good scrub for those on a budget! It smells great and the sugar grains are gentle enough that they won’t irritate sensitive skin while still doing a great job at sloughing off all that dead skin. I’m delighted to say that as an exfoliant scrub, this performs very similarly to my favorite Ole Henriksen Walnut scrub but for much less $$$. As a mask it leaves your skin nice and soft, but I didn’t feel the masking effects for life-changing. Overall I think this is a great option for those who need a gentle exfoliating product.

For those curious, I have very oily skin.
Alice S.
Metairie, LA
FINALLY someone made an affordable sugar mask! You see, sugar is great for the skin - it balances out oil levels and the scrub mechanism removes any dead skin. It's also... inexpensive (have you been to a grocery store lately? That stuff is cheap!) I'm always low key offended by sugar masks that are $60+ for a couple ounces...of sugar. While this is still not as cheap as the cost, for the first time I'm reviewing a sugar mask, it's also not an offensive price tag. Maybe you can go make your own sugar mask, but if you don't feel up for the task of combining sugar, oil, and thickened, Skinfood gives you a good, low cost option.
Amanda W.
Chambersburg, PA
I received the full size version of this mask in a monthly subscription box. First thoughts are it smells really sweet (in a good way)! It’s a really great exfoliant. I can see where some people may think it’s harsh - it can feel really rough on your skin but personally I like it that way. It clears any dry patches and flaking I have and leaves my skin feeling baby soft. Although I got this along with other products in my subscription, it’s price in stores like Ulta is super affordable. I would definitely purchase this product again in the future.
Amanda O.
This stuff is the bomb!! It has really helped my skin get through the winter drying weather. I just turned 38 and I have noticed that my skin is not as naturally supple and moist as it used to be. I seem to need more help keeping the moisture in my skin. I also have to be on top of my exfoliating game. This is a go to product for me. I like to use it at night in my skincare routine but it is also great to put on as a mask before applying lotion and makeup. If your skin looks good then your makeup will look even better!
Frances G.
El Paso, TX
I bought this online from Ulta I barely used it yesterday and I fell in love with it! It's not as grainy as other scrubs are so when you massage your face it doesn't irritate it so bad. It is smoother but you can still feel that it is getting the job done and exfoliating your face. I massaged it for a good 2 minutes then left it on my face for the suggested 10 minutes then rinsed it off with warm water. After I dried my face it felt so nice and smooth. I am so exited to see how my face feels after using it for a good while.
China H.
Bethany C.
Pensacola, FL
Where can you buy this?
Ashley R.
Where can I buy this? Also, is there a scent?
Luo L.
Carteret, NJ
Affeia J.
How well does it work? I tried an Argan mask before it my face was tingling and burning.