BY REAL TECHNIQUES #1 in Makeup Sponges

The little miracle that your makeup bag is begging for, the Real Techniques miracle complexion sponge is the secret to a flawless face.

The #1 branded makeup sponge* is a versatile beauty tool designed with a revolutionary foam technology to evenly blend makeup for a smooth, enhanced finish. With multiple surfaces for multiple purposes, the 3-in-1 tool covers it all:

►rounded sides: seamlessly apply makeup into large areas of the face and blend along the jawline

►precision tip: allows for detailed application and covers imperfections

►flat edge: ideal for delicate and smooth contouring around the eyes and nose *Pro Tip: use damp for a dewy glow or dry for full coverage

All Real Techniques sponges are latex free and replacements are recommended every 1-3 months.

• whats your preferences for foundation application? sponge or brush? 49 Answers
  • I use beautyblender original makeup sponge this sponge better o...8 Answers
  • So for the beauty blenders, which do you prefer the foam or silic...13 Answers
Reviews (19199)
Jessica W.
Tampa, FL

I only recently discovered this and wish I'd discovered it sooner. It applies foundation, concealer and cream/liquid blush evenly and flawlessly. The shape of the sponge makes it incredibly versatile. I angle the flat side such that I can get right between my nose and my cheeks. This is one of the only applicators that do not cause foundation to pool in my nose pores.

Fear no more if you have big pores, this product REALLY helps to reduce the size of your pores when applying foundation - the effect is much nicer than buffing it with a brush, plus it's idiot proof - No Experience Necessary (rather like a recent election result). I have huuuuge pores and this provides perfect, even application that doesn't cake in my pores.

I wouldn't necessarily use this sponge the way Sam & Nic recommend in their video though - they sweep product using the flat side of the sponge. I bounce the sponge on my skin to get the foundation into the pores, rather like how you would use a Beauty Blender.

How does this sponge compare to the BB? I think the BB gives a very marginally better finish with the super slippy liquid foundations like water based ones (My reference is Kanebo Lunasol Modeling Liquid Foundation, still my HG after 9 years). The BB also eats slightly less product. However, this sponge trumps the BB in terms of shape and price. The BB is $30 where I'm from, and the RT is only $8! Also, I much prefer the shape of this sponge as it enables me to get into all the little nooks of my face and under the eyes. For the BB, you need the micro minis to do that properly. Also, RT performs better with foundations that are creamier in texture. I get a better effect with the RT sponge when I use the Kate Mineral Mask BB cream (which is my other HG product!) than with the BB. On balance, I much prefer the RT and would repurchase this over the BB
Shasha S.
Ashley K.
Earth
This is such a better and cheaper alturnative to the twenty dollar beauty blender. This is as soft on your skin and when you dampen it then it grows about half the size. I always use this for my concealer and baking. I just use the same sponge for both because it does not bother me. I do recommend but, I also recommend replacing it four to six months after using it. I recommend replacing it because it can break and fall apart on you but, the other thing is I seen girl use the same sponge for over a year even all the way up to three years and they cut the sponges up and there were bugs living inside on their sponge. Obviously that can happen because its a nice wet and room temperature object and the same about it molding, I feel like everyone think that it is like brushes and all you have to do is clean them. That is not the case. I do not mean to scare you to not buy a sponge. I am telling you that out of health reasons and good hygiene. Just know what you are putting on your face. I use a sponge every say but, I do replace it!!! Again I do not mean to scare you by saying what I have. You can take it if you please. Just remember what you could be putting on your face.
Kaila D.
Ladies and Gents! If you every need a cost efficient product that won't break the bank that'll leave your foundation flawless. This product is a must have in your room, in your purse, at the office, or even in you car. This sponge does wonders, it comes in a pack of 2 for $10.00 at Walgreens. I have this product all over my house just in case I need any touch ups or extra blending.

I like to drench it in water and blend away with my foundation. It does absorb a little bit of foundation but it makes your foundation look flawless. I also use it for putting on concealer and with the same sponge, wet and all, I grab setting powder to set my foundation and the remaining areas that need powder.

It's super easy to clean as well. I like to use baby shampoo and pour a little on. Keep squeezing under water until water is clear when squeezing out the water. You'll love this product. Best dupe for a Beauty Blender.
Alexsis G.
Savannah
This makeup sponge is the best one I've tried! Not only does it feel great on the face, it reaches every area. I enjoy how the design allow for optimal use on my hard to reach areas like my nose.

How I use it: I either wet it from my faucet or from NYX Dewy setting spray and blend the foundation (which was already dotted on my face from my fingers). This sponge brings a more natural finish once I've blended my foundation on! It looks like my skin but more flawless and I love it.

It may be small but it's fierce :)

It's super cheap on it's own at $6 but I bought it inside a three-piece kit from Ulta (Flawless Base Set) from Real Techniques for $19. Ulta also has great coupons that can be used on the too!

100% recommended --> Real Techniques Flawless Base Brush Set  &  Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge
Dalila C.
I had just started to put full face makeup daily for over a month now. I started with this very cheap makeup sponge from China, and it was crappy. I thought all sponges are the same. Then, my friend told me about  Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge sponge and also the beautyblender original makeup sponge . Since I've just starting with makeup, I thought RT sponge is more of what I need right now since I don't know how long I will be using makeup, as it could just be a phase and that the Beauty Blender is pricier. So, I personally feel that this is a HUGE upgrade from my "el cheapo" sponge from China. You can totally see the difference in your makeup application. I use it to smoothen my foundation, concealer and also banana powder. I am thinking of getting a second sponge (maybe third?) since Ulta is offering buy 1 get 50% off right now.
Denise T.
Milwaukee, WI
After reading that this product was comparable to the beauty blender I had to give it a try. I'm not quite ready to commit to spending $20-$30 on a makeup sponge, and the RT beauty sponge was more affordable. I purchased mine for $6 at Target, and it's totally worth it. First of all, this sponge is really soft, and blends wonderfully. I tried a generic sponge before, and it wasn't nearly as soft. I also love that this sponge can be used on the whole face with each side. It's like having 2-3 beauty sponges in one, plus it's very affordable!
Bryanna S.
Doniphan, MO
Ok ladies.....this is the mother of all makeup sponges! I can not apply my foundation without this product! The thing I love about this sponge the most, besides it’s softness, is the flat area on the one side! This allows me to cover so much more surface area of my face than a typical makeup sponge, so much faster and smoother. It still has the pointed tip on the other end for those hard to reach places under the eyes and around the nose. I like to use mine dampened with water or a setting spray. This sponge is a pretty good side to begin with compared to others in it’s class, but when I wet it, it grows considerably and becomes even more soft on my skin. The application that this gives me is such a pretty, natural skin looking finish. It prevents cakieness and creasing for me. This sponge will forever change your makeup routine!
Kaitlyn B.
Burlington
The best makeup sponge I have ever used! I usually will buy the two pack off Ulta or Amazon when mine are worn out.

I used to be an avid Beauty Blender fan, but they are so expensive! And because I use hydrating, dewey foundations I found that the sponges would mold quickly (gross!) even when I wash them often. So I like that the Real Techniques sponge is cheaper and I can re-purchase them more often.

It's larger than most sponges, so I feel like I can apply my foundation really quickly. I usually use the flat side over my whole face and use the tapered round end to get near my eyes.

The orange color isn't pretty when foundation gets on it, but the color doesn't really matter to me. I am the only one who sees it anyway.

I highly recommend to sponge lovers!
Sarah G.
Katy
I was blown away by this sponge. I like to try out new things and dupes to see if there is something just as good or better out there so I purchased this sponge just to see. I was drawn to the flat side more for baking my face than anything else. It grew when I dampened it and I was surprised to see how well it applied my foundation (not as good as a beauty blender but it worked very nicely). The texture is nice and it cleans easily. I’m interested to see how long it holds up and when I’m done I’ll cut it open to see if it absorbs product or not. If you’re on a budget and can’t bring yourself to spend the $20 on a beauty blender or if you’re just a weirdo like me that enjoys options then you’ll love this little drug store gem.
Meaghan H.
Metairie, La
What would you recommend washing this with?
Allison L.
Best way to use this? wet or dry?
Laura D.
Aberdeenshire, Fraserburgh
whats your preferences for foundation application? sponge or brush?
Tayah P.
I really want to find a good and cheap replacement for the beauty blender... Does this come close?
Lauren S.
I just bought mine from Ulta. Does it work better wet or dry?